Breeding My Discus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
meandmykribs said:
Aww sounds fantatic I cant wait to see your process
smile.png
Today I had a delivery date of the 20th Sep for the tank. 
59.gif

Will also compile an update here shortly on my adventures. 
yes.gif

Paradise3 said:

Your new tank arrives on my birthday!
laugh.png
And 2 days before mine! 
wish.gif

yay.gif
Happy birthdays to us 
drunk.gif

Haha, Happy Birthday to us!! *Very early Birthday wishes*
laugh.png

Almost makes me want to break out into a song! Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to me, Happy birthday dear.....you and me.............Happy....
yay.gif

I will report on this one live and as it happens from the tank. 
big_boss.gif

Saw my fish were in the mood for some lovin' last night, so I left them in peace and went out for an Indian. Drank far too much wine, talked far too much BS, and don't recall coming home!
drunk.gif
  Woke up with a sore head, and then remembered I needed to go sort out the new eggs......after some strong coffee!!!

Previously I had been treating the eggs against infection with Formalin. However there is a fine line with the use of Formalin, and if crossed it actually kills the eggs(or so I think 
sad2.gif
). Last week I was discussing this with a fish importer, and she told me to use Amoxicillin. Amoxicillin is an antibiotic drug, like penicillin, usually only available on prescription, or in my case available from an unscrupulous pharmacy! Which saved me having to visit the doctor with a fake illness. Anyway, I mixed it with water and administered the drug to the eggs this morning. So the following 48 hours are crucial, and I need to keep the water perfect. I am using RO water and a peat filter, which keeps the water at a steady pH 6.0 and very soft. So it should just be a case of clean, clean and clean again. Touching wood!......ummmmm that sounds a little rude, but you know what I mean.
yes.gif
Fingers crossed!....there that sounds better.
innocent.gif

How do you stimulate them to spawn?

Should I wait for a rainy day and hope?

Zante said:
How do you stimulate them to spawn?
Should I wait for a rainy day and hope?
If you wait it will happen eventually, but the best trick I find to induce them is live food. I use brine shrimp, but stop with live food as soon as they have spawned.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not impatient, I just want to learn more.

I've been feeding them my recipe of discus food soaked with vitamins once a day and live food (bloodworms, tubifex and daphnia) twice a day. Do you think artemia would be better?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back