Breeding honey gouramis

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sunnyspots

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Has anyone else tried breeding them? I have a few from an unexpected (within 24 hrs of getting them) breeding and wondered if there is a point at which it is critical to keep the air humid and warm for them to develop their labyrinths, or must it be so from day one?

Labyrinths need a cover on their tank for the first 2-3 months so they have warm air while the labyrinth organ develops. The 2-3 months varies depending on species and how fast they grow.

The following link is about honey gouramis and might be of interest to you.

Labyrinths need a cover on their tank for the first 2-3 months so they have warm air while the labyrinth organ develops. The 2-3 months varies depending on species and how fast they grow.

The following link is about honey gouramis and might be of interest to you.
Thank you for that. It sounds like my gouramis might be related to those! The behaviours are almost identical. I've isolated them in a new tank whilst the first lot of fry sit in another tank in a breeding box covered with a stocking to stop them leaking out. They keep breeding too! My guy doesn't build a bubble nest first though, he wraps each egg in a bubble after the deed.

I see it is the first month I have to be especially careful to keep things humid. That's good to know. The breeding box has a lid so it is warm and moist inside the box. I try to keep the lid off as little as possible while feeding them. I'll keep on for the following 2 months as you suggest. All good so far. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back