Breeding Guppies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

guppyguy1234

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi i am starting to breed guppies in two days time and i would like to hear other breeders methods of doing this.

With guppies all you need is a male & a female & add water.
They'll drop 30+ fry every 4/5 weeks so make sure you have an outlet for all the fry or you'll be overrun with them.
Tbh unless you have an unusual colour strain they're worth very little & most Lfs won't give you much if anything for them.

thanks
i have spoken with my lfs manager he has offered me 50p each

Lillefishy pretty much summed up guppy breeding. ;) Get a male, a female, and add water. Just like the pack of instant noodles that sits in the back of the pantry:) Try to avoid inbreeding though. It makes the next generation weaker.

just to correct you inbreeding do not make the next generation weaker it's a myth, inbreeding has very little effect on the fish .

Breeding guppy is easy just remember to put more females. ideal ratio of male to female is 1:3 or 2:3. 
put lots and lots of floating plants if you don't want to separate the mother so that the frys will hide and forage in them, examples of floating plants are hornwort, cabomba, anacharis and water lettuce.I also recommend java moss. once I see the frys in plants I scoop them up and separate them in plastic breeder tub to make sure that I can properly monitor and feed them. I suggest feeding them crushed flakes,hard boiled egg yolk and baby brine shrimp for optimal growth.This is my method and got lots and lots of them. Hope this helps! :)

thanks everyone and yeah im happy with the price although the sale price is £1.60 each soo.

if you just want to breed guppies then a male and a couple of female guppies if fine. How ever if you want to breed show orline breed a specific line of guppy there is more work.

I currently line breed:
  • Full Red
  • Moscow blue
  • Half black yellow
  • Blau silver
  • Scarlet endler
  • Purple endler
  • Black and white (blau) endler
  • Metallic wild endler (collected Feb 2013)
  • Wild endlers (collected Feb 2013)
I have 65 tanks up and running and need more smaller tanks for rearing fry all the time!

helterskelter said:
if you just want to breed guppies then a male and a couple of female guppies if fine. How ever if you want to breed show orline breed a specific line of guppy there is more work.

I currently line breed:
  • Full Red
  • Moscow blue
  • Half black yellow
  • Blau silver
  • Scarlet endler
  • Purple endler
  • Black and white (blau) endler
  • Metallic wild endler (collected Feb 2013)
  • Wild endlers (collected Feb 2013)
I have 65 tanks up and running and need more smaller tanks for rearing fry all the time!
Purple Endlers !!! I've got to see these... do you have any photos you could post here... pleeeeze ?

woww looks like you really no your stuff and i agree post pics of your guppies if you can i like blue ones

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back