Breeding for Profit in a 10 gallon?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kascopic

Reaction score
hi, I have an empty 10 gallon fully cycled and I want to put something in it to breed for profit. I have live bearers already set up and I know about shrimp which I might go for if I can find a good supplier but I was wondering if anyone knows of any fish that will breed easily in a 10 gallon and be good to sell for profit?

hi, I have an empty 10 gallon fully cycled and I want to put something in it to breed for profit. I have live bearers already set up and I know about shrimp which I might go for if I can find a good supplier but I was wondering if anyone knows of any fish that will breed easily in a 10 gallon and be good to sell for profit?
You could try a pair of dwarf puffers? These sell for a decent amount and not many people breed them as the majority are wild caught.

Check into the cost of breather bags, shipping boxes, warming and cooling bags, and shipping rates before you get too far into this. It cost me a fortune just to ship a few shrimp to another member by the time I collected the materials and paid postage.

At my LFS, male flame guppies go for $3-$4. If you had 20 of these you could make any where from $60-$80. Guppies are easy as well. Shrimp are killer easy. I have at least 30 in my 10g by now. (Cherry shrimp)

I just saw on this website that 10 grade AA cherry shrimp can sell for just around $30, not bad. :
Grade AA Cherry Shrimp History

The Red Cherry Shrimp is the red color variation of the wild Neocaridina heteropoda. This color variation was originally bred in Germany and started to appear in The United States in the late 1990's. It is without a doubt the most popular shrimp in the hobby. We recomend this shrimp to anyone who is just starting into the hobby for its ease on water parameters and high breeding rate. What makes this shrimp different from a normal cherry shrimp is its level of "grade" meaning it has been selectivly bred to be a very vibrant color of red.
(Website: https://www.theshrimpfarm.com/10-grade-aa-red-cherry-shrimp.php) (They also misspelled "Recommended" and "selectively". :lol:)

At my LFS, male flame guppies go for $3-$4. If you had 20 of these you could make any where from $60-$80.
That's retail - The supplier would get about $1 cash or $1.50 store credit.
I've been breeding/selling swordtails and barely cover the cost of food etc.
Not to rain on the parade, but you really need a fairly large operation to really turn a true profit.

At my LFS you can sell them to the store for $2 each. That's still $40, which isn't bad.

I'm with @AbbeysDad on this. If you want to breed fish and sell the offspring to recoup some of your costs and to find homes for those you can't accomodate go for it and good luck to you.

As a financial venture its probably a non starter and will probably take several years before you make enough to buy a second tank (if indeed ever). But like any startup business you will need to do your own costings and forecasts to figure out if you have a viable business case.

In the Spring when I breed black moor and fancy goldfish I only get store credit and it’s not much. My pond goldfish I sell by bulk (certain price for 50 juveniles). By the time I raise them to a suitable size, I pretty much break even on them. If I made money, I’d do it all year. I do it because I enjoy it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back