Breeding ember tetras

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So, since now i have around 55 of embers, plenty of females and males, and several females are getting super fat, so I am guessing filling with eggs.
I see them hanging out a lot in the java moss, but here in lies the problem.

In my usual cleaning routine I muck around the moss cause it fills with debris, if i move it around it releases a lot is small particles. I have had this issue since I added the wood to the tank, it is soft wood, I assume the particles are from it. But here in lies the question. I muck around in the plants, the moss, suck out all the floating particles.
What if, the tetras breed, somehow not eat it and then I destroy the eggs ?
How should I approach in water changes and cleanings to not lower my chances of them breeding?
I also read that tiny fry in an established tank will find food particles, and I have decomposing leaves and wood so the fry, if it ever happens, should be covered food wise? I also feed small particles foods anyway, so.

This fish is an egg scatterer, and the eggs are adhesive so they stick to whatever they fall against. Java Moss is ideal spawning habitat. I would not mess with the moss, as some eggs are likely going to escape being eaten. In a mature tank, infusoria will develop on organic matter, and adding some dried leaves is ideal for this. Fry develop faster with lots of infusoria present. Microscopic critters will also be present. Do regular water changes, provided the parameters are much the same between tap and tank water, as these also help the fry grow.

I have also been trying to have my ember tetras have fry, good luck.
In theory, I only have the embers, hatchet fish in the upper levels, but also riccia in the upper level where the fry could hide, and sterbai corydoras which wouldn't catch the fry even if they tried. So again in theory, nothing that could eat the fry and I am hopeful.

In theory, I only have the embers, hatchet fish in the upper levels, but also riccia in the upper level where the fry could hide, and sterbai corydoras which wouldn't catch the fry even if they tried. So again in theory, nothing that could eat the fry and I am hopeful.

It is the eggs that are more prone to predation; fry being mobile can escape. But they will not remain at the surface, but down near the substrate. Lots of chunks of wood with crevices is ideal, I have had various fry including this species grow up in such a tank. And any cory that comes upon an egg will eat it immediately. Few eggs will survive with cories present, but some should if they have lots of wood and thick plants.

IMG_20220606_205357.jpg

I should be ok then. This is an older picture, where the hornwort is now is the same sized piece of java moss and najas all over. The wood is inhabited by the corydoras though, so strange the fry is safer there than at the surface. But will see what will happen or if anything even.

That's the idea. Cories will eat very small fry if they have the opportunity, but fry can at least swim into safety, whereas the eggs cannot.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back