Breeding electric blue acara

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a few questions. My eba bread about 2 weeks ago and babies are about 1.25 cm. I want to sell them and make some money and I have about 40 of them at this point. I have a 10 gallon that I am going to put them in. I would like to make some money off of these guys so I want to remove them so they will start to breed again. How should I net them out? They are in a 40 breeder community tank. I want this to be stress free to not loose any to other fish. Should I
1. Leave them in with the parents or
2. net them out and put them in the ten
As for the next batch, should I siphon the babies out when they are in the wiggling stage?

You won't make money from electric blue acaras because they aren't big sellers. You might sell 20 or 30 and then won't sell any more for 6 months.

-----------------
Baby cichlids should always be left with the adults until the adults start chasing the young away from their nest site, or when the babies naturally move away from the parents and no longer hang around the adult fish. This allows the babies to learn from their parents and develop more natural behaviour.

If you remove the eggs before they hatch, or the young when they are still being cared for, the baby fish don't make very good parents when they grow up.

-----------------
Use a couple of fish nets to catch the young out. Have a 10-12 inch net and put it against the glass on the bottom. Then use a smaller 5-6 inch net to slowly guide one or two of the babies into the big net. Repeat process until all young have been removed.

-----------------
The babies will grow faster in a big tank than a small tank. If you leave them in the 40 gallon breeder tank, they will grow faster than if you put them in the 10 gallon tank.

The baby fish can be sold when about 1 inch long (the tail is not including in that measurement).

You won't make money from electric blue acaras because they aren't big sellers. You might sell 20 or 30 and then won't sell any more for 6 months.

-----------------
Baby cichlids should always be left with the adults until the adults start chasing the young away from their nest site, or when the babies naturally move away from the parents and no longer hang around the adult fish. This allows the babies to learn from their parents and develop more natural behaviour.

If you remove the eggs before they hatch, or the young when they are still being cared for, the baby fish don't make very good parents when they grow up.

-----------------
Use a couple of fish nets to catch the young out. Have a 10-12 inch net and put it against the glass on the bottom. Then use a smaller 5-6 inch net to slowly guide one or two of the babies into the big net. Repeat process until all young have been removed.

-----------------
The babies will grow faster in a big tank than a small tank. If you leave them in the 40 gallon breeder tank, they will grow faster than if you put them in the 10 gallon tank.

The baby fish can be sold when about 1 inch long (the tail is not including in that measurement).
I plan to have them until they get about 1+ inches. I also plan to sell to 3 stores to spread them out. How long will it take them to reach 1 inch in a 40 breeder?

How long will it take them to reach 1 inch in a 40 breeder?
Under ideal conditions with lots of food, lots of big water changes and warm water (28C is the best temperature for growing tropical fish), it will take about 2 months for the babies to reach 1 inch long.

--------------
Even if you sell to 3 different shops, most shops will only take 10-20 fish at a time and it could take them several months to sell those.

Basically, don't try to keep all the babies alive. If some get eaten by other fish, that is fine.

Under ideal conditions with lots of food, lots of big water changes and warm water (28C is the best temperature for growing tropical fish), it will take about 2 months for the babies to reach 1 inch long.

--------------
Even if you sell to 3 different shops, most shops will only take 10-20 fish at a time and it could take them several months to sell those.

Basically, don't try to keep all the babies alive. If some get eaten by other fish, that is fine.
If I only have like 40 of them, do you think each store will take 15?

If you only have 40 you should be able to sell them all, but it could be a couple of months before they buy any more.

Another option is to find an aquarium fish wholesaler. These places normally import fish and supply them to the smaller pet shops. Most wholesalers will buy large numbers of fish from people but they don't pay as much for them because they have to mark the price up and sell them on to other shops. Having said that, fish wholesalers might take 1000 fish at a time, but you have to find a wholesaler first and talk to them before you start producing huge numbers of fish.

If you want to breed fish for profit, breed rainbowfish or livebearers or angelfish.

If you only have 40 you should be able to sell them all, but it could be a couple of months before they buy any more.

Another option is to find an aquarium fish wholesaler. These places normally import fish and supply them to the smaller pet shops. Most wholesalers will buy large numbers of fish from people but they don't pay as much for them because they have to mark the price up and sell them on to other shops. Having said that, fish wholesalers might take 1000 fish at a time, but you have to find a wholesaler first and talk to them before you start producing huge numbers of fish.

If you want to breed fish for profit, breed rainbowfish or livebearers or angelfish.
Thanks. I donā€™t have the space to start breeding about of fish ( I wish I did). I have 4 tanks and two of my fish just decided to breed. I guess Iā€™m trying to say if the fish keep breeding, I would like to make money off of it. I wonā€™t take this seriously right now but Iā€™ll just keep selling them if they keep breeding.

Most reactions

trending

Back