Breeding Clown Killifish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
You can see the eggs and developing fry with a bit of practice.

A spawning mop is usually made from a length of airline and a joiner. You make a loop from that and then attach a heap or green or brown acrylic wool to the loop or a float of some sort. The fish lay eggs on the wool and the float lets the wool hang down from the surface. They are easy to make.

If you post a picture of the fish displaying, we can see if they are males showing off to each other or males breeding with females.

You can see the eggs and developing fry with a bit of practice.

A spawning mop is usually made from a length of airline and a joiner. You make a loop from that and then attach a heap or green or brown acrylic wool to the loop or a float of some sort. The fish lay eggs on the wool and the float lets the wool hang down from the surface. They are easy to make.

If you post a picture of the fish displaying, we can see if they are males showing off to each other or males breeding with females.
I know that its the males breeding with the females. The tail shape gives it away.

Now and then the males will show off to each other but most of the time they are chasing the females around and pushing them against stuff.
I have 3 males and 3 females. I know that's not perfect but it should work...

There will be eggs in the tank, but the babies are probably being eaten.

If they are well fed, fry survive. If the food leaves them hunting, well, all bets are off.

It can also be a question of time. The fry know how to hide, and not everyone knows how to wait.

Some fish bred in natural set ups can be very careful. Try being the size of annulatus in an African habitat!

I have had the experience of thinking I had half a dozen of these fish, removing the plants and finding I had over 50. Once you get the numbers you want, the breeding type set up becomes a liability, as it's designed to allow the fish to hide. They're good at it.

I let my AKA membership lapse a couple of years ago, after many years of membership. I learned a lot from the group, but the politics of the US border had become a problem, and as a foreign member , there was no use beating my head against a wall. I joined the club in France because they were more open. I think I'm in the French Foreign Killie Legion now.

I miss that journal, and have a nice bookshelf of past issues that are superb references.

If I lived in the USA, I would join the AKA. Good people, good sources of info and good access to fish. It takes time to network these days, but it's a great starting point.

hmmm... Whats the benefits of joining?
What @GaryE said is good and so with @Colin_T . The Journal of The American Killifish Association (JAKA) is more than worth your dues. It comes out four times a year and the articles are written by very smart and knowledgeable people. It is really a scholarly and scientific publication. Much of it is way above me but you learn best in the deep end of the pool. The AKA has a members forum on their website. It does not have nearly the traffic of TFF but it is for serious questions by serious students and receives serious answers. They send out the monthly Business Newsletter electronically and that has the Fish and Egg listing where you can network with other breeders and buy and trade or sell fish and eggs. If you want to really get into Killifish and learn things you never knew there was to learn then join the AKA. Joining was an impulse for me but I am glad I did because I discovered a part of the tropical fish hobby that I am enjoying very much. There are also regional affiliate clubs of the AKA that you will want to join where you can meet Killifish people in person . If a guy was on the east coast he could go Killie nuts that way. Then there are the shows and conventions . The shows have guest speakers that are very well known in the hobby and scientific circles that will blow your mind.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back