Breeding Bristlenose

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

31LJ95

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am wanting to breed some Bn. I already have a male who is ready to breed I think. I’ve got a 80l (20g) High and a 10 gallon (50l). Both tanks have already got fish and are matured and cycled. Do you think I could keep the parents in the 20 and let the fry grow out In the 10? I will need to ask my lfs first to see if he will buy them first just wondering if I could do this. Any help much appreciated. Cheers

A 20 is OK for a pair. The 10 is OK for youngsters if there are no other fish in there. Everybody eats baby Bristlenoses, even a big Guppy will eat them. Be sure to put a variety of cave sizes for the male to choose from

so should I let the pair breed in the 20 then pull out the fry and put them in the 10? I do have some guppies and Corys in the 20 but could move them to my brothers tank and they would be fine. Or could I leave them in there?

I would let them breed in the 20. When you see eggs or fry in the cave, take the cave with dad and fry and put in the 10. When all the fry come out of the cave, put dad and the cave back in the 20. You will do more harm than good trying to catch the fry in the 20.

thanks for the help, will do that probably. Should I take my guppies and Corys out the 20 or will they be fine to stay in there?

I am going to buy a new tank for breeding bn which would be a 105l / 27 g. Do you think I could keep a pair (normal) in a 20g 80l and then try get a colony going in the 27g (super reds ). I want to try breed both types but don’t know if it would work well.

A 20 Long would be better than a 20 High but either should work. Just be sure to keep each type in their own tank, they will cross breed. Now all you need is a grow out tank for the babies.

Mine used to breed like crazy on my 260lt community tank. I had fish such a Denisoni barbs and Congo tetras, so quite large, and many fry survived. With plenty of plants, Rick and wood, they seemed to keep well hidden. I had no other bottom dwellers.
Every few months I would go fishing and take 20 or so to my lfs. I never asked for money, I was just pleased to have somewhere that would take them. I guess eventually they became inbred as the fry stopped coming. At times though it was astonishing how many emerged after dark. My tank must have been massively overstocked sometimes but I kept it well maintained and all was well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back