Breeding blue gouramis

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello. I have two blue gouramis, a male and a female. The male has been building bubble nests every now and then but the female doesn't seem to be in the mood for breeding. The female comes underneath the bubble nest, and the male wraps himself around her but she never releases eggs, so she just runs off. I'm pretty sure she is full of eggs as she is very fat and non for her fins are nipped. They both display very bright colours and eat a lot. The tank is a 180l (50gallon) and heavily planted.

update. The females fins are damaged should I remove the male or? In the past increasing the surface disturbance would be enough to get rid of the nest and the males aggression but idk if it will work this time

update. The females fins are damaged should I remove the male or? In the past increasing the surface disturbance would be enough to get rid of the nest and the males aggression but idk if it will work this time
Can a picture be given? Then it is easier to justify the cause of the damage :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 09.05.23.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 09.05.23.png
    135.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 09.06.41.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 09.06.41.png
    117 KB · Views: 75
I have only kept honey gouramis in the past and currently pearl gouramis (but the male pearl has yet to show any interest in any of the three females). The honeys did breed quite regularly and it was common to see a female with a nipped tail.

Honey gouramis are at the most peaceful end of the gourami behaviour spectrum, the only damage done to the females was damaged tails which healed quickly. Blue gouramis (as with all the varieties of 3 spot) are at the more aggressive end of the spectrum. It is not unknown for a male to kill an unresponsive female.

If this male is being very aggressive towards the female, I would separate them before the female comes to harm. If it's just a bit of fin nipping, you can leave them together, but act if it worsens.

Yes. I have two angelfish, 3 panda garras, 3 bristlenose plecos
And you haven't seen the angelfish go for the gourami? I think that the male is getting a bit too aggressive so serperation to another tank would be ideal for now.

Since there are angelfish in the same tank, I agree with @Fish4dawin to remove the male gourami.

And you haven't seen the angelfish go for the gourami? I think that the male is getting a bit too aggressive so serperation to another tank would be ideal for now.
I kept gouramis and angelfish in the same tank for a year now and the angelfish never attacked the gouramis

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back