breeding blue acara's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jay_

Reaction score
my pair right now looks as if they're getting ready to spawn soon (as far as i can tell) the male (i'm pretty sure it's the male) is going around cleaning little areas of the aquariun, pushing gravel aside, picking it up and spitting it out at another area etc.
dunno how long he's been at it since i just spotted him doing it about 20 min ago.
is this part of their spawning behavior or is he just doing is own aquascaping? :p
anyways would be nice if someone could give their opinion and thanks in advance

hey..ok here's the deal

first make sure you have a piece of slate, or a couple pieces, or a clay pot in with them.
if they are ready to spawn they'll clean the slate because this is where they'll lay their eggs , they dig a pit in the gravel for their young to hang out in after they hatch aswell make sure you keep their water super clean, and keep your heat up a couple degrees(I used to keep it at 82-84 when I was breeding acaras). if they lay eggs they might eat them all the first couple of times(thats no biggy, don't freak out) when they have their eggs layed they will protect them, so any other fish in the tank might get beaten up, and they WILL attack you hand and cleaning syphon. if they eggs get little black spots in the middle of them after about a day then they're fertile, if they go cloudy and white then chances are they succumbed to fungus. they take a couple days to hatch...you can get liquified food for them at the lfs, its called small fry here. after their yolk sack disappears and they're free swimming you'll need to feed them.

any other questions..you can talk to me online through msn [email protected]

I don't come on this page that often

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back