Breeding Bettas Advice + Queries

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gavril

Reaction score
Hi,
I have put my male and female betta in a breeding tank. The male was in there prior for about a week and then i introduced the female in a breeder box for a further week. Then i added her to the tank, the male meanwhile had a very big bubble nest. She was displaying vertical stripes which was a steady indicator that she was ready to breed. When i introduced her, there was the basic chasing i expected and the hiding of the female, but she had not sustained any ripped fins or wounds. She is now hiding in my tank from the male, but her doesnt try to attack her, but she still flees at his first site. Her is flaring at her gently and is showing off his fins but doesnt attack her. I have been wondering if i should just leave them to get on with it or to intervene and remove her and put her back in the breeder box. Her behavior is very lethargic when around the tank but she does come to eat and get air but remains at the bottom and rests, can I have some help ?

A
Hi,
I have put my male and female betta in a breeding tank. The male was in there prior for about a week and then i introduced the female in a breeder box for a further week. Then i added her to the tank, the male meanwhile had a very big bubble nest. She was displaying vertical stripes which was a steady indicator that she was ready to breed. When i introduced her, there was the basic chasing i expected and the hiding of the female, but she had not sustained any ripped fins or wounds. She is now hiding in my tank from the male, but her doesnt try to attack her, but she still flees at his first site. Her is flaring at her gently and is showing off his fins but doesnt attack her. I have been wondering if i should just leave them to get on with it or to intervene and remove her and put her back in the breeder box. Her behavior is very lethargic when around the tank but she does come to eat and get air but remains at the bottom and rests, can I have some help ?
Any idea how old she is?

I have had her for over a year and she has been fine. But no i don't know exactly, but she is definitely older than him.

Here's what you should have done. Be very sure your female is in superb condition. Well fed and fat with eggs. The appearance of the ovipositor is confirmation of condition. Then you put her in with the male very early in the morning. Before the lights come on while it is still dark. Take her out for now and try again in a couple weeks. Also do it as close to the new moon as you can. They will usually be done spawning in two to three hours. Watch them closely. Get her out when they are done.

Ok i will try the moon method, but i can see her egg spot so I know she is ready to go.... He is building a bubble nest like crazy but she isnt responding with positivity signs of interest in him. It has been a couple of weeks now should I try a new female?

UPDATE: I just saw the male and female flaring at eachother through the breeder, is this somthing i should be worried about

Last edited:
It sounds to me like this could be it. What is important is that you put her with him very early in the morning while it's dark. This is so that they both don't get surprised and fight. They discover each other gradually as it lightens up. Again, the whole process should be over and done within two or three hours. Stay right there and watch them. The new moon thing is my personal preference based on weird science but it works for me. Them flaring at each other is good. It shows mutual interest and that she won't be shy around him. Put them together and see.

Ok so I put them together, and he attacked her and left her badly wounded :( . Im going to get and place a younger female in the tank instead. Plus, I do think that she is too old for breeding any way, and that she should just live out her life in my community tank in peace.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back