Breeding angelfish

sadness child

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a breeding pair of angelfish that are in a 46 gallon bowfront with 20 BPT and 10 BD and some corys
they are chasing the other fish and I do want them to breed, but I dont want to stress the other fish out
I can and will sperate the angels if I have to

Please help me

they look very happy together and are both very beautiful

Just leave everyone where they are. Chances are the parent swill eat the first few batches of eggs and then they eat the babies when they first hatch. After 4 or 5, sometimes more batches, the parents will look after the babies. Then you can worry about what to do.

The following link has information on culturing food for baby fish. It's a good idea to get the food going before the fish breed so there is something for the babies to eat.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/

I'm going to disagree. If you really want to breed angels a mated pair need to be in their own tank. Other fish will try to eat the eggs (because they're tender and delicious!) and the angels will go nuts protecting them. Stressful for all the fish.

Colin is correct that often they will eat their own eggs the first few spawns. They have to learn about caring for eggs and fry. They typically will learn AND IF you keep them well fed!

Alternatively, if when spawning happens you could remove the eggs to hatch and raise in another (small) tank. The water needs to be treated with an anti-fungal and there needs to be an air stone providing gentle water circulation around the eggs. Eggs that turn white were unfertilized as fertilized eggs will look gray. In a few days there will be wigglers followed by swimmers. An initial preferred food by many breeders is baby brine shrimp. I prefer cultured micro worms as they are sustainable. You can also buy frozen baby brine shrimp and there are some commercial first foods for fry. I've liked powdered quality flake food after the first few days.

Good luck, Breeding can be fun. Before you get to far along though, you should explore possible outlet(s) for the fish you grow out. Whether it be give aways to friends or selling to a local fish store (LFS).

I'm going to disagree. If you really want to breed angels a mated pair need to be in their own tank.
You can move them into their own tank when they have had a few batches and are looking after their young. But it's pointless moving them into their own tank for their first few batches because they just about always eat the eggs and young.

Quite often the other fish will distract the parents and this can reduce the chance of the adults eating the eggs and babies. When the parents have learnt how to care for their eggs and young, you can move them into their own tank then if you like.

Hatching your own baby brine shrimp is easy to do too. You can google how to make a hatchery out of a plastic water bottle, an air pump, and a desk lamp. Very easy! Good luck!

Hatching out your own brine shrimp nauplii is something EVERY aquarist should know. It is very simple and easy. You will need baby brine shrimp to feed at one time or another. Even small fish love them. You should see guppies go wild for them. The brine shrimp eggs and every thing you need is cheap too. EVERY aquarist should have these things at all times and know how to do it. You can actually have baby brine shrimp within 24 hours. And just so you know, have the stuff to have at least 2 hatchers going. Three is better. Have them staggered so you have fresh newly hatched brine shrimp every day.

I wasn't saying that they would not eat their own young the first few spawns if they were in their own tank. My point was that the constant attempts of other fish to eat the eggs and the parents defending and attacking would be predators just makes for a very stressful tank. Better not to have that happen. For serious breeding, mated pairs are separated from other fish, including other Angels.
This is worth a look. Dean has been breeding fish for 50 years.

I wasn't saying that they would not eat their own young the first few spawns if they were in their own tank. My point was that the constant attempts of other fish to eat the eggs and the parents defending and attacking would be predators just makes for a very stressful tank. Better not to have that happen. For serious breeding, mated pairs are separated from other fish, including other Angels.
This is worth a look. Dean has been breeding fish for 50 years.
Cool video. I like the clean look of his tank.

I think that I will let them hatch out one batch, then I will sperate them.

I do have a favorite

Great video. I want an Angel tank so bad. Thanks for sharing!

I Did notice! I still want to do that. I liked the bare bottom with just the potted plants. Do I need a fish safe potting soil to do that?

J
I Did notice! I still want to do that. I liked the bare bottom with just the potted plants. Do I need a fish safe potting soil to do that?
Yes, I think that would be smart. I have used a pond product called Schultz Aquatic Soil intended for water lilies. It is very dirty and has to be washed thoroughly. I got it at Lowes. Any of the special aquarium plant substrates should be good too. I put a thin layer of regular gravel on top as it is very light and tends to swirl all over. I also like the look of the terra cotta pots.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back