Breeding African dwarf frogs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Coryking

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Has any one breed these guys?
IMG_20230602_141330.jpg

I've been wondering if I should breed breed these African dwarf frogs for quite some time. I have six in total 3 albino and 3 regular. I have sexed some of them definitely have both genders. They are in a planted community tank. I've had them for about a year and half. The question is should I breed them and how. I have noticed them croak more then normal recently is this a sign that there reading to breed? I have spare 10 gallon and a 5 gallon tank available only problem they don't have any lights on the spare tanks. Thanks very much.

Thanks.

Has any one breed these guys?
View attachment 319416

I've been wondering if I should breed breed these African dwarf frogs for quite some time. I have six in total 3 albino and 3 regular. I have sexed some of them definitely have both genders. They are in a planted community tank. I've had them for about a year and half. The question is should I breed them and how. I have noticed them croak more then normal recently is this a sign that there reading to breed? I have spare 10 gallon and a 5 gallon tank available only problem they don't have any lights on the spare tanks. Thanks very much.
Hey, Colin has added some cracking info here, I may be able to help also if you are to breed them. Well if you get the option to choose! Nature may take is course naturally lol.
If he is humming or singing he's ready and looking for a female. Roughly a couple of weeks the amplexus should start to take place.
Keep an eye out for when amplexus occurs as so will fertilization. This can happen mainly during night time, although mine don't seem to mind the light on! See picture attached.
Beforehand you can drop the water level to about 5 inches which will definitely increase and encourage the chances for the female.
You will notice tiny spawn floating at the top. There is a chance that they may not get fertilization and may possibly just stay on the sand bed. But they will surely try again another time.
Adf have no maternal properties so they do and will eat the eggs and spawn, best grab the eggs and remove to a shallow warm container. The egg sack is all they need for the first stages of life. Once eaten then you have use a liquid fry. Due to the fact that most captive tanks will not have enough algae etc..... as the legs start to develop you may feed small brine and water flea foods and chopped bloodworm for weight gain.
The Adf are so delicate and fragile so obviously no pump running. They like still waters as you know.
Lots of spawn doesn't necessarily mean lots of frogs as many don't make it, but be aware they may do, so hope you got room.
Happy froggin! I'll help if you need it, if I can Cory.

Attachments

• 20161020_154658.jpg
    20161020_154658.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 19

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back