Brazilian Pennywort

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aqua Tom

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I am getting some Brazilian Pennywort delivered soon. I know it can be grown as a surface plant or "anchored" to the bottom of the tank. I dont want it as a surface plant. Whats the best way to grow it otherwise?

I take the stems and find the natural bottom of the plant (generally where the roots are the largest. I start breaking down the long pieces, making sure to break it off of well rooted sections and leaving plenty of leaves and roots on both parts. Then i stick 'em in the soil, leading the roots down into the substrate with my finger.

Edit: alternately you can lie the piece longways along the ground and stick each rooted segment into the ground (like a runner) but this is easier said than done. :good:

I just got some (literally 30min ago)
Check it out

bo4G1h.jpg

I have mine bunched and anchored with lead weight + rocks on the bottom.
biggrin.gif

You cannot use it unless its painted or coated in some way. The malleable lead strips that come with plants when u buy them at the store will pollute the water. I don't see why you would need to buy extra weights when the plants hold themselves in just fine.

Just because it says its safe for aquariums doesn't always mean it is. Take bamboo people sell as an aquarium plant, when it so isn't.

TLDR:
People will say anything to sell a product

The tiny amount of lead in the weight won't pollute my 55g. It's been there for about a year and a half. And I do need it to anchor the pennywort. It proves to me again and again it won't stay put on its own.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back