Brackish Water Testing

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

loveforfhishies

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i just converted my freshwater to a brackish tank with a puffer.. do i need to get a saltwater test kit or is my API freshwater kit fine?

i just converted my freshwater to a brackish tank with a puffer.. do i need to get a saltwater test kit or is my API freshwater kit fine?

Do you mean a test kit that covers Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia, pH etc. If so, it should say on the packet if it can be used in freshwater or saltwater. Most can be used in both. However remember you will always need to test for salinity when keeping a brackish tank.

Cheers,

Mike

Your API freshwater kit will work fine. The chemicals and tests are exactly the same in the freshwater kit as they are in the saltwater kit however the colors will be slightly different in the salt than they will be in the freshwater test results. Inside of the test kit you should have all of the test reading cards that say: Freshwater Ammonia, Freshwater Nitrite... etc with the colors of the ppm results the Saltwater Ammonia, Saltwater Nitrite... etc will just have slightly different colors on that card for each ppm. I believe that in all of the tests though the color difference is not all that drastic ammonia in the water is still green in salt the same as it is in fresh. If you were to get the saltwater kit all you would get different is the different card. In the indiviual kits API sells it comes with both fresh and saltwater result cards.

thanks your right.. i just realized one of the individual packs i have to measure nitrate comes with 2 cards..

so now do i need to compare my test results with the saltwater card or should i use fresh since the tank is brackish and not fully sea water?

thanks your right.. i just realized one of the individual packs i have to measure nitrate comes with 2 cards..

so now do i need to compare my test results with the saltwater card or should i use fresh since the tank is brackish and not fully sea water?

The test results for both will not be absolutely perfect, what I have found is that the results are closer to the saltwater test and not the freshwater test, also the higher the SG is to full marine the more accurate the results with the saltwater test. Also in saltwater the tests seem to come out a bit more cloudy which I think is what alters the colors slightly.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back