Brackish Invert Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TylerFerretLord

g͝e͠ek҉
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to try to start up a new tank, this one featuring Hawaiian anchialine shrimp(Halocaridina rubra). Considering how absolutely tiny these guys are, fish are out of the question(also because they have a spine :shifty: ), so I've been looking into other brackish inverts that can be kept with them.

The tank is going to be set up with the back and sides covered with rock(similar to how BigC has done his reef) in order to show off the small shrimp. I'm not sure what I will keep the salinity at, but I want to be able to keep some hermits, so at least an SG of 1.010 if not higher.

So, my question is what inverts would you suggest for this kind of tank? :lol:

Your best bets will be snails of various types, particularly nerites. If you're going for a mid to high salinity system, I'd be looking at Virginia nerites or the zebra nerite Puperita pupa.

I wouldn't add other shrimps because of the risk of predation, though I admit cherry shrimps (a freshwater species) seem to ignore their offspring so the risk from algae-eating shrimps at least may be small. Hermit crabs could work, but they're pretty opportunistic, so I'd be very careful.

Cheers, Neale

I think I might risk it with the hermits. I plan to make sure that everyone is fed so I'm hoping they won't bother the shrimp(and snails) if they're not hungry. I only intend to get a few as well, so that might help.

Something I'm a bit worried about is will the hermits be ok with tap water? I know they're a bit sensitive regarding water chemistry and most places say that you have to use RO to keep reef organisms.

When keeping marine organisms -- whether fish or invertebrates -- in a brackish water system, you will of course need to provide marine-quality conditions. If that includes carefully dealing with nitrate, copper, etc., then that's the way it is. Tap water should be okay, treated properly, but if you have sky-high nitrates (as is often the case in London for example) then you may need to rethink your plan.

Cheers, Neale

Something I'm a bit worried about is will the hermits be ok with tap water? I know they're a bit sensitive regarding water chemistry and most places say that you have to use RO to keep reef organisms.

My tapwater should be okay, the nitrates are usually only around 10ppm and the copper levels are fine considering I'm keeping many shrimp in my freshwater tank with no ill effects.

Thank you for all of your help, nmonks! Wish I could find your book somewhere. :good:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So, my question is what inverts would you suggest for this kind of tank? :lol:

You may wish to try Halicarcinus lacustris, which are a micro crab from NZ. I see them pop up on Aquabid every once in a while. I have not kept them myself but I'm always looking for a fully aquatic brackish crab. Anybody else have them and could comment?

I would love to find C. Africanus, too, but I can't seem to find anybody online who carries them (or anybody here in the States, either).

Right now I have red-nose shrimp, malaysian trumpet snails (breed like rats but great cleanup crew!), a couple olive nerites in an SG 1.004-1.005 aquarium.

Good luck!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back