Brackish/fresh Water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Not really for the long term however some fish that are listed as Brackish are actually freshwater fish but seem to do better in a low salinity brackish environment.  Bumblebee Gobies are one such species, some keep them in fresh water but they require 'hard' freshwater to do well.

Maby if I want brackish water fish. I sould just start a brackish water tank. Thank You for your help.

If you are worried about spending a lot of money on salt then there are loads of fish that will do well in a low salinity Brackish water system.  I've got a post on here about my next fish tank which lists quite a few of the choices that I'm currently thinking about.

Most estuarine fishes are able to cope with marked variations of salinity, both ways. Each species may then prefer one or the other end of the spectrum.

Archerfishes, depending on the species, can live in slightly different levels of salinity. I have direct experience with Toxotes Microlepis, the smallest of the genus. I kept it at very-low end brackish (SG 1.002 @ 25 C) down to pure fresh, but salinity can be increased to SG 1.005.

If I do a brackish water fish. I would want to turn in to salt down the road. Maby years. 

Thank You for the help.

Tony2099 said:
If I do a brackish water fish. I would want to turn in to salt down the road. Maby years. 

Thank You for the help.
There are plenty of options if you want to go this way: monos, scats, columbian catfish, green spotted pufferfish or Ceylon pufferfish

I had brackish tanks years back when there seemed to be more brackish fsh for sale, toadfish, Gymnothorax Tiles, Waspfish, puffers, gobies etc and some I bought from freshwater tanks that the fish seemed to be suffering in but appeared so much healthier in brackish.

I converted my 75 gal FW cichlid tank to Brackish SG 1.012, I also have a rainbow shark and he has grown more active and his temperament has lowered. I was told by many that he would not make it but he is doing great

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back