Brackish? Do tell...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Okay, saw adorable bumblebees today.

Unfortunately our dear Mother has made an adorable creature that belongs in a special kind of water and since I can't argue with her I better learn about her special kind of water.

Brackish water is simply partly salty water. It isn't as salty as sea water, but has more salt than freshwater.

The easiest way to make brackish water is to use half sea water and half freshwater and mix them together.

Bumblebee gobies don't need much salt. As long as the pH is above 7.0 and the GH is above 250ppm, they are pretty good. You can then add 2-4 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres of tank water, and they will be happy.

Bumblebee gobies don't eat much dry food and prefer live or frozen (but defrosted) foods that sink to the bottom. They are small peaceful fish but sometimes nip fish with long fins. Good tank mates include small peaceful surface dwelling fishes that like hard water with a pH above 7.0 and maybe a bit of salt. Otherwise keep them in a single species tank.

Im asking because i recently read somewhere that puffers eventually have to go into brackish water ???

Would bumblebees be okay in the same water as guppies?

Bumblebee gobies and guppies can live in brackish water but the gobies sometimes bite the guppy's tails.

Some species I've seen do well in pure freshwater.. Mono's sebae and dactylifera and BIG Scats. I myself had a Scat grow fast and to over 6"..then was dead one morning. They can eat themselves to death or,and why I bring it up,they need salt to stay healthy.
Rock salt will do for them also..marine salts are expensive,and I've been told that ordinary rock salt will do. Never tried an all out brackish tank myself.

Yes, dwarf puffers really do prefer brackish water or, “Black water”.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back