Bowfin gill/pectoral fin membrane

iliketurtles

Reaction score
My bowfin has this white membrane sticking out from the end of the gill plate, anyone know what this is, and if I should be concerned? Bowfin looks normal otherwise and is extremely active and feeding well.
Tank is a 40gal stock tank, water filled about 1/4 way (4" deep), filter is a eheim 2213. I dont know the water parameters, and theres no heater. No additives to the water, its tap water left outside to sit for 2 days. The only thing in the tank right now is a broken bowl that's used as a hideout

Attachments

• IMG_9789.JPG
    IMG_9789.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_9790.JPG
    IMG_9790.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Need better pictures, without the white thing (airline) in the way

Get a close up of the head and gill might help too.

This is the best I can do, he doesnt stay still

Attachments

• IMG_9796.JPG
    IMG_9796.JPG
    192 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9798.JPG
    IMG_9798.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9799.JPG
    IMG_9799.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 23
can you circle the area/ thing you are concerned about?

try to have the fish in the water so whatever it is, doesn't flatten out against the fish.

you see that white membrane looking thing thats sticking out from behind the gills? you can see it in the first 2 pics i posted as well.

Attachments

• IMG_9796.JPG
    IMG_9796.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 26
I can't tell what it is but if it's on both sides of the fish, I wouldn't worry too much. It's doesn't look like a parasite or disease organism. It could be part of the gill membrane (a flap of skin that helps seal up the gill cover), or part of the pectoral fin.

Yes its on both sides, same size and shape. When I look up pictures of bowfins online, i dont see this membrane so i was worried. You think this isn't likely to be anything life threatening or can possibly cause disabilities?

If it is on both sides and in the same place, it is something from the fish. That rules out parasites and diseases.

If the water is good and the fish is eating well and doing normal poop, and it isn't rubbing on things in the tank, then it is something from the fish and could be something that appears when they become sexually mature, or might be from a water quality issue.

A video of the fish might show more. Make a 1-2 minute video and upload it to YouTube, the copy & paste the link here. If you use a mobile phone to record the footage, hold the phone horizontally so the video fills the entire screen.

Apart from that I would monitor the fish and see what happens.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back