Bought My First Dwarf!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

betta fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Got this guy on Monday never owned one before but I adore the colour, he was the brightest fish in the tank and has really brightened up my tank that is mainly grey or darker fish, I hope I can keep him for some time, slightly worrying reading all this about dwarf gourami disease is there an incubation period for it? he is eating well and seems healthy for now.

DSCF9656.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF9659.JPG
    DSCF9659.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 265
They are such beautiful fish, but I've never had luck with them and I'm sad to say that out of the four I've had all of them died very quickly.

It's kind of put me off dwarf Gourami, and there are some beautiful Honey Gourami I saw yesterday.  I saw some lovely Chocolate Gourami too.  Maybe one day I'll have another go at keeping them.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

lovely looking fish ... got everything crossed that he's not affected by dwarf gourami disease
yes.gif

Thanks for the kind words 
smile.png
I hope I can keep him alive but I know there is not much I can do if he does have the virus, I guess it is just a waiting game and I'll just enjoy the time I have with him and hope he is happy too.

Any updates on this gourami? So beautiful! I really want one of these

Still alive and kicking 
smile.png
 I got him a girlfriend just the other day, quite a rare find as they are so dull in comparison and nobody really buys them but they are separated for now as she is quite a bit smaller compared to him! definitely recommend you getting one they are great.

Ohhhh baby Gouramis soon, and of course I love baby pic's

That would be nice but still have plenty of work to do to condition her up as she is thin and he is acting quite aggressively to her, he can see but can't touch and he is not really attempting to build a bubblenest as the water on his side is quite turbulent which doesn't help! so we shall see if she fattens up nicely and he builds, shall keep you posted!

If you have Indian Almond leaf put it in the tank so it floats he will build a bubble nest under it, My Bettas do, and Gouramis are just Bettas that are bigger but with a little less attitude.

And just because we all love photos 
biggrin.png
 ( sorry about the bars, the tank is behind a fire guard to stop my 3 year old messing with it lol ) oh Nick I put an almond leaf in but it has sank now, I'll put another in once she is conditioned 
smile.png

The lucky lady:
DSCF9783.JPG
DSCF9781.JPG
DSCF9785.JPG
Mr Big:
DSCF9786.JPG
DSCF9787.JPG

Thanks for the pictures! I know 10gallons is too small for this fish if he's not more or less by himself so I will have to wait for a larger tank but, beautiful!

betta fish said:
... he is not really attempting to build a bubblenest as the water on his side is quite turbulent which doesn't help! so we shall see if she fattens up nicely and he builds, shall keep you posted!

Why quite turbulent? Is he sharing the tank with species which require dissolved oxygen? They normally won't/can't build nests in turbulence. 
NickAu said:
If you have Indian Almond leaf put it in the tank so it floats he will build a bubble nest under it, My Bettas do, and Gouramis are just Bettas that are bigger but with a little less attitude.
Even if it floats if the surface is "quite turbulent" (as the OP states) a nest can't/won't be built under it, and those leaves sink after a few days. Try using half a styrofoam cup, cut lengthwise, concave side facing down on the water surface. Some gourami species are smaller than Bettas, and some gourami species have much more attitude than Bettas. Macropodus sp shred Bettas to death, even champion Fighter Plakats don't stand a chance. 
betta fish said:
... I put an almond leaf in but it has sank now, I'll put another in once she is conditioned
Once they sink they are spent and pH will begin increasing again. As long as you have an ample supply continue adding fresh leaves, she will condition faster and be less susceptible to disease in a pH <6.0
Aquatony said:
10gallons is too small for this fish if he's not more or less by himself so I will have to wait for a larger tank but, beautiful!
10g is not too small. I have bred this fish in a 3g tank. 10g is large enough not only to breed them but can also serve as the fry grow-out tank for the 1st 2 or 3 weeks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back