Bought A 2Nd Hand Biorb

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nessar

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well I've always stayed away from biorbs as they are very expensive for the size, and I've heard they arent great. But I saw a cheap one on ebay and couldnt resist. Now I know pretty much nothing about them so need your advice. It will probably home a betta eventually or maybe couple of adfs. So then....

Am I right in thinking it uses an undergravel filter?

Do I need to buy this ? http://www.petsathome.com/shop/ceramic-filter-media-for-biorb-16320 (Doesnt come with it)

Do I need the filter cartridges as well, and if so what are they made of and do I need to change them every month like it says? http://www.petsathome.com/shop/filter-replacement-service-kit-for-biorb-16318

Can I put normal gravel or sand in it or not?

Can you plant them?

Should I get the official biorb heater or another one?

And any other advice welcome :good: thanks guys!

forgot to add its the 30 litre one. oh and are pygmy cories a big no no?

Yeah you will need the ceramic, you cant use normal gravel or sand in a biorb, they use the ceramic as part of their filtration system.
Yes, you need to use the filter cartridges, but I change mine once or twice a year, just giving the sponge a good squeeze in tank water every few weeks or so.
When you do a water change you dont need to do all the mess on reef one say you do, just perform them exactly as you usually would in a tank.

Cant help on your fish though...sorry!
K

Yeah you will need the ceramic, you cant use normal gravel or sand in a biorb, they use the ceramic as part of their filtration system.
Yes, you need to use the filter cartridges, but I change mine once or twice a year, just giving the sponge a good squeeze in tank water every few weeks or so.
When you do a water change you dont need to do all the mess on reef one say you do, just perform them exactly as you usually would in a tank.

Cant help on your fish though...sorry!
K

ahh thanks so the 'filter service kits' are just sponges?

do you have plants in yours at all, and do you have the biorb heater?

if you don't mind seeing a small filter in the tank i would get rid of all the crap on the bottom and the filter that comes with it and then you use your own filter, can use sand, plants and have fish that like it on the bottome of the tank, pygmy corys swim around as much as they stay on the bottom so would be fine without the horrible filter rocks.

A sponge filter wouldn't look ridiculous in there and would help overcome the issue of gaseous exchange.

if you don't mind seeing a small filter in the tank i would get rid of all the crap on the bottom and the filter that comes with it and then you use your own filter, can use sand, plants and have fish that like it on the bottome of the tank, pygmy corys swim around as much as they stay on the bottom so would be fine without the horrible filter rocks.

ahh it hasnt arrived yet so I cant see it, but can you remove the tube/filter thingy then? I thought it was built in. If I can remove it I'd love a sponge filter there, would make everything much easier.

A sponge filter wouldn't look ridiculous in there and would help overcome the issue of gaseous exchange.

they have an issue with gas exchange? could you explain? I really dont know anything about them.

My 30L biorb is pretty nice, and java ferns seem to thrive in it.
In mine I have some platies, mollies and a female fighter, but I believe a male fighter and a small shoal of ember tetras or something would do really well :D
If you need any more info or anything on it, just drop me a message :good:

they have an issue with gas exchange? could you explain? I really dont know anything about them.

Only a small surface area is exposed to the air because of the size of the tank so you need to do something to increase surface agitation.

Only a small surface area is exposed to the air because of the size of the tank so you need to do something to increase surface agitation.

I disagree, the surface area is fine, and the bubbles from the tube cause enough agitation for the surface.

I had a 45 litre Biorb Life, that I recently got rid of because it was my cup of tea. I went agaisnt the whole 'only the Biorb Ceramic Gravel stuff' and added my own fine grain gravel which ended up working fine.

James.

Hey guys it arrived today, want to get it up and cycling asap so I need some help!

If I take the bubble-tube out, could I use a sand substrate if I dont use the biorb filter? It seems I cant remove the filter bit so would water just leak out through the bit where the air tubing connects to the tank?

My issue is I would like cories, but dont think they would like the ceramic stuff you have to use instead of gravel.

I would also like plants, how could I have live plants if I keep the ceramic stuff?

Hey guys it arrived today, want to get it up and cycling asap so I need some help!

If I take the bubble-tube out, could I use a sand substrate if I dont use the biorb filter? It seems I cant remove the filter bit so would water just leak out through the bit where the air tubing connects to the tank?

My issue is I would like cories, but dont think they would like the ceramic stuff you have to use instead of gravel.

I would also like plants, how could I have live plants if I keep the ceramic stuff?

As said, java ferns do really well in mine.
I've never tried changing the substrate and filter system completely, so I'm afraid I can't help you there! Sorry!

As said, java ferns do really well in mine.
I've never tried changing the substrate and filter system completely, so I'm afraid I can't help you there! Sorry!

thanks, how did you anchor it down?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back