Bottom material

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mrV

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Im just wondering what kind of bottom material do you use?

I have 3 tanks and two of them have sand on bottom (0,6-1,5mm diameter) and one has gravel (3-5mm). I have tired of vacuuming gravel when changing water and now im thinking about changing it sand too.

I have no bottom fish - only couple ancistrus sp. cf. temmincki - in 'gravel tank'. They are not so sensitive to gravel like corydoras etc...

Plants are growing fine in both sand and gravel.

Ups.. Wrong area, could someone please move this to "chit chat", thanks! :)

MrV, I use a 50/50 mix of the small, 3-5mm stuff, with 10mm size.

The bottom stays cleaner looking this way, and allows me to be a little lax in my vacuuming 8)

I use pea gravel in the tanks just now. But If I ever get all my tanks up and running again I'll prob have a mixture ;)

hi mrV
i have a mixture of different gravel in my tank, you say you
have a tank with sand in , i've seen tanks with sand used and
always think how nice they look, but how do you keep the
sand clean should'nt think you can vac like with gravel.
dos'nt it block up the filter?

slt :thumbs: :music:

Thanks, Feargal!

Slt -> here is couple pic of my newest tank:
http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/water_world/aquarium450.jpg
http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/water_world/aquarium450_2.jpg

I know... There is only few plants because it's only 2 months old :p

slt said:
... how do you keep the
sand clean should'nt think you can vac like with gravel.
dos'nt it block up the filter?

I just change water once a week about 25-50%. I do not overstock my aquariums so, it's not problem either. You don't have to vacuum sand, because rubbishes etc don't go "inside" the bottom. They stay on the bottom and filters "suck" them inside.

Sure you have to sometimes break up sand with your hand like picking sand up in the same way when you were kid and playing on the beach. Because sand may block up too... And you can easily/with care try to vacuum sand too, but it's quite difficult.

And no, the sand won't go inside the filter..

I just vacuumed the other tank where is gravel and i have to say i hate it :) I think that on the next summer i change gravel to sand. And when using gravel you can't even put any fertilizer in the bottom. Well, only Tetra Crypto for example...

:) Nothing, 80% of my tanks are bare bottomed, the rest 3-5mm gravel. If I didn't use UG filters these would be same. Easy to keep clean. :thumbs: Mac.

I have to add that I do not have undergravel filter either. They don't work with sand and UG-filters are ancient history :) There is only two filters in that aquarium on the pic: Internal Eheim 2052 and external Eheim 2028. I have thought to buy another external filter too - when i get enough money :)

Macquatic said:
... 80% of my tanks are bare bottomed...

Hmm, how do they work?? I mean that the bottom is most important element in aquarium for good bacteria...

Nice tank MrV.
As for mac's bare bottomed tanks he has to much time on his hands and likes doing water changes, lol

your tanks are really nice, love the way you've got them
planted out,i used UG gravel filter when i first set my tank up,
but , changed it about 5 months ago when i got 2 interept
internal 4 power filters, think they do a much better job.

slt. :thumbs: :music:

are they gouramis, and may be flying fox or spotted headstanders, 1 more guess a sucking loach. :D

slt. :thumbs: :music:

Yep, there is 3 colisa sota and 1 colisa lalia.

"Oblongs" are simply crossocheilus siamensis. Not headstanders...

And the red spots on left are barbus titteya and i think under is female and top is male, heh... Too incoherent pic...

Sorry that i use scientific name, but i don't know their name in english...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back