Bottled spring water?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Salty&Onion

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I went to my local store yesterday and there are 2 5L bottles of spring water.
I have checked it and:

Calcium is 22,
Magnesium is 7,
but pH is 7.6.

I thought about using it for my betta tank and it would be cheaper, two bottles split in half so its 2 water changes (2weeks) per bottles which it makes 4 weeks, 1 month for 2 bottles.
Can I use it?

@Byron

You can get a smaller bottle of water and test to see if it has chlorine in it. Most bottled water does not - that’s why many people use it as a cheap alternative.

I would say if it has no chlorine, it’s good.

It does have about 11 chlorine, but I'm using water conditoner so?
Should I get this water?
I have found a gas station quite near me, and their slogan says 'Free air & Water' but what kind of water they have, I'm not sure.
Is de-ionized water tank and fish safe?

It does have about 11 chlorine, but I'm using water conditoner so?
Should I get this water?
I have found a gas station quite near me, and their slogan says 'Free air & Water' but what kind of water they have, I'm not sure.
Is de-ionized water tank and fish safe?
Oh, if you are using conditioner then by all means go for it.

Not sure about the de-ionized part. But, pure distilled water can bad for smaller aquariums, as it will impact the pH levels.

How many litres of water are you using a week? Surely you cant use much more than if you ran a full bath? Can't work out much cheaper than if you were just using tap water tbf

Does the bottle say chlorine or chloride? They are not the same thing and only chloriNe is poisonous to fish. ChloriDe is not poisonous.

Do you intend using all bottled water or mixing it with your tap water? I change at least 11.5 litres a week in my 23 litre tank. That would mean more than 2 x 5 litre bottles a week if I used all bottled water.

De-ionised water mixed with tap water to reduce the hardness is fine, but not all de-ionised; it needs to be mixed with tap water.

Just collect some seawater, save you having to buy salt ;)

Does the bottle say chlorine or chloride? They are not the same thing and only chloriNe is poisonous to fish. ChloriDe is not poisonous.

Do you intend using all bottled water or mixing it with your tap water? I change at least 11.5 litres a week in my 23 litre tank. That would mean more than 2 x 5 litre bottles a week if I used all bottled water.

De-ionised water mixed with tap water to reduce the hardness is fine, but not all de-ionised; it needs to be mixed with tap water.
I was thinking about getting the 2 5L bottles and using half of this and half of this water..

Just collect some seawater, save you having to buy salt ;)
DSCF1297.JPG

The bottled water data in post #1 indicate there are minerals in this water. So if it is intended for soft water fish (Betta I think?) you do not want this.

Which brings me to the question, what is wrong with your tap water?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back