Bossy bugger: Green Neon Tetra bully

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lynnzer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've noticed of late there's one really bad piece of work among my green neon tetras. You'll soon see which one I mean here
It's bigger than the rest but whether it's male or female is unknown. I suspect it's female with eggs inside.
No matter what sex it is, it just bullies the hell out of them all and chases them out of range. Fortunately it's a well planted tank so the problem isn't critical but opinion please: should it stay - or should it go for the benefit of the other inhabitants.

In the vid I don't see bullying and only natural behaviour.
It is a big female which I think is the highest in the picking order.
Leave it and accept there is a hierargy.
When you remove it probably the hierargy will change and there will be another "leader" doing exactly the same.

I agree with @DoubleDutch there is no problem here. But, I would get a few more. There seem to be eight which is a good start, but another 4 to 6 would be better. This is a species that lives in very close large shoals, in dim waters such as blackwater streams with good overhanging vegetation. I see floating plants, and when these have multiplied the green neons will be much happier. I'm very fond of this species, it is one I have maintained for many years.

The fish is found throughout the middle Rio Negro basin; Heiko Bleher found this species as far north as the Vichada in Columbia.

I don't know what other species are in your tank--and by the way, the aquascape is ideal for this fish (and many others from the Amazon basin), nice work indeed. :good: But this fish (green neon) likes warmth, and you can have the water temperature a bit higher than for many species. The following data may be of interest.

Soft (less than 4 dGH) and acidic (pH 6.0 or below) water is essential for long-term health, temperature 23-27C/73-81F. Temperature in its natural habitats has been recorded to range between 24.6-35.2°C/76.3-95.3°F and it may have evolved a natural tolerance to high temperatures (Marshall et al., 2011). This species is sometimes found in the same waters as the cardinal tetra (termed sympatric) and both fish have identical water parameter requirements. In temperature however the cardinal tetra P. axelrodi inhabits waters that do not exceed 30°C, whereas P. simulans can be found in watercourses with a temperature that can surpass 35°C (Campos, et al, 2017).

I agree with @DoubleDutch there is no problem here. But, I would get a few more. There seem to be eight which is a good start, but another 4 to 6 would be better. This is a species that lives in very close large shoals, in dim waters such as blackwater streams with good overhanging vegetation. I see floating plants, and when these have multiplied the green neons will be much happier. I'm very fond of this species, it is one I have maintained for many years.

The fish is found throughout the middle Rio Negro basin; Heiko Bleher found this species as far north as the Vichada in Columbia.

I don't know what other species are in your tank--and by the way, the aquascape is ideal for this fish (and many others from the Amazon basin), nice work indeed. :good: But this fish (green neon) likes warmth, and you can have the water temperature a bit higher than for many species. The following data may be of interest.

Soft (less than 4 dGH) and acidic (pH 6.0 or below) water is essential for long-term health, temperature 23-27C/73-81F. Temperature in its natural habitats has been recorded to range between 24.6-35.2°C/76.3-95.3°F and it may have evolved a natural tolerance to high temperatures (Marshall et al., 2011). This species is sometimes found in the same waters as the cardinal tetra (termed sympatric) and both fish have identical water parameter requirements. In temperature however the cardinal tetra P. axelrodi inhabits waters that do not exceed 30°C, whereas P. simulans can be found in watercourses with a temperature that can surpass 35°C (Campos, et al, 2017).
Yeah, the species is not regularly stocked in the local stores and I think most folk would pass them by thinking they were neon tetras. However the sheen on them is superb and although not too much green, they really sparkle especially when the sun shines through the window sideways onto the tank.. And they don't grow as big as neons which is ideal for my tank.
They share it with a pair of Badis Badis that inhabit the space under the woodwork in the middle of the tank. These are showing mating exhibitions, shimmying, and it's possible it's already happened as I can't see where they are for most of the time.
I also have 4 otos just for algae eating on the hardscape, and this tank is unfortunately infested with bladder snails so I have 3 assassin snails chewing their way through them.
I take particular care with the water. Temperature is set at 25, GH (TDS) is at 180 and the KH is low and getting lower with every water change as the mix of water dilutes what was already in the tank, as the tank uses a good amount of rainwater.
I feed live daphnia quite regularly, as well as a couple of squirts of vinegar eels every day, and a few whiteworm from my cultures. It's sort of funny watching a 15mm fish dashing around the tank with a whiteworm the same size in its mouth.
I had a breeding mop in a corner hoping the green tetras would get on with things but have taken it out for now as it spoils the look of the tank, and anyway there's enough vegetation for them. Chances are any young would be gobbled up by the tankmates anyway.

I agree with @DoubleDutch there is no problem here. But, I would get a few more. There seem to be eight which is a good start, but another 4 to 6 would be better.
I tried 5 LFS's over the weekend before I found one with stock of them. I managed to get another 4 so I'm getting there.
From what I'm told as soon as they come in - they go out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back