Bosemani Rainbow Scale Damage

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

razorkai

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all

A couple of my four male Bosemani Rainbow fish have scale damage and I'm not sure why. I have seen them nipping at each other which I assumed to be because there is only one female in the tank. I would like to get more females as I assume that might make them less nippy? Unfortunately the only place round here that sells them is unable to sex them, and in fact that is how I ended up with four males in the first place! Currently treating with Melafix (just done 2nd dose) but I am concerned as they don't look too great. Other two males look flawless. All seem to be behaving and eating just fine. Is it normal for rainbows to nip at each other like this? Is there anything else I can do to help them heal? I have got a UV filter running so I know the water is pretty clean.

Attached is a photo of the worst fish.

Any help appreciated.

John

Attachments

• P1010911 small.jpg
    P1010911 small.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 305
Scale damage is a common problem with Boesmanis. Particularly when you have an abundance of males as you do. Usually the bigger males fight the most while the smaller ones keep out of the way if they can. One of your males will eventually become "top dog" regularly patrolling an area of the tank that he considers his, whilst the smaller ones pluck up the courage to have another go at him. Mine fought fairly regularly the whole time I had them with occasional scale damage. I didn't treat mine with melafix and pimafix unless they looked a bit nastier. Its not clear from your photo how bad the damage is, just keep a close eye on it. The only way you may reduce in fighting is to aquascape heavily with plants and wood to break up sight lines. Buy a bigger tank or remove your one female.

Hiya Jonesy

I never would have thought that removing the female would help! As I said in my OP I was looking to add more females. Would that work too or is it best to keep them in same sex groups? It was hard to get a good photo as they swim about a lot when you get near the tank. I think the damage is not too bad but still looks worse than I am used to seeing with them - I've had them about six years now.

I have just rescaped half the tank with less plants as I thought they might want more room to swim freely. Maybe I over did it...

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

The main problems with scale damage comes from secondary infection so just keep an eye it. An all male tank is always going to be fiestier sp? than an all female tank. However, with a solitary female to compete for you will get far more territorial displaying than you would do without the female there.

Hiya Jonesy

I never would have thought that removing the female would help! As I said in my OP I was looking to add more females. Would that work too or is it best to keep them in same sex groups? It was hard to get a good photo as they swim about a lot when you get near the tank. I think the damage is not too bad but still looks worse than I am used to seeing with them - I've had them about six years now.

I have just rescaped half the tank with less plants as I thought they might want more room to swim freely. Maybe I over did it...

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

I can't see having only 1 female being a good thing really.

I keep an all male group of mixed rainbows and have never had any injuries. If I had the room I'd have females in there too but I'd be looking at having at least 2:1 female to male.

I can't see having only 1 female being a good thing really.

I keep an all male group of mixed rainbows and have never had any injuries. If I had the room I'd have females in there too but I'd be looking at having at least 2:1 female to male.

The only difficulty is ensuring you get what you are after when stocking! The shop I buy from said it is almost impossible to tell males and females when rainbows are young.

It should help if you can keep the water quality as good as possible - maybe doing a few water changes per week rather than one - this should help with the repairs. The only chance you have of getting more females is if you can find some adults. I have 3 red rainbows and 2 Bosemanis which ive had for about a year or so - they are all male and although they like to chase a jostle I dont have any problems either.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back