Borneo Sucker Feeding

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gilroy

Reaction score
I have 3 Borneo suckers in a 10-gallon tank and I have had them in there for about 2 weeks now. They seem like they are doing pretty well and they are eating the biofilm in the tank. They are running out of biofilm to eat though. I've tried feeding them cucumber and different kinds of algae wafers, but they won't even touch it. I don't know if I am doing anything wrong.

I have 3 Borneo suckers in a 10-gallon tank and I have had them in there for about 2 weeks now. They seem like they are doing pretty well and they are eating the biofilm in the tank. They are running out of biofilm to eat though. I've tried feeding them cucumber and different kinds of algae wafers, but they won't even touch it. I don't know if I am doing anything wrong.
Have you tried frozen bloodworm or daphnia?

Seriously Fish says that they eat "benthic algae plus associated micro-organisms although insect larvae are probably taken on an opportunistic basis. " It is unlikely they'll eat bloodworms.

SF suggests that where the tank cannot provide enough algae you can put several rocks in a container of water in a sunny location and when the rocks grow algae, put one in the tank. When the fish cleaned that, put it back in the container and another algae covered rock in the tank. With several rocks growing algae it should provide a continuous supply for the fish.

Never seen these fish before, but I want some now! Gorgeous and derpy looking, love em!

They need cooler temps than most fish and need a fast water flow - you can tell that just by looking at the way their bodies cling to rocks. As part of a cooler, river style set up, they would go well.

They need cooler temps than most fish and need a fast water flow - you can tell that just by looking at the way their bodies cling to rocks. As part of a cooler, river style set up, they would go well.
Yep, you can really see that they've evolved to cling to rocks to eat while water flows over them, I would like a river set up like that one day to keep a few of those types of river loaches that need the fast flowing river type set up. But not for a few years yet. Imagine that type of tank as a living room tank though! Not your everyday community or planted tank :)

Seriously Fish says that they eat "benthic algae plus associated micro-organisms although insect larvae are probably taken on an opportunistic basis. " It is unlikely they'll eat bloodworms.

SF suggests that where the tank cannot provide enough algae you can put several rocks in a container of water in a sunny location and when the rocks grow algae, put one in the tank. When the fish cleaned that, put it back in the container and another algae covered rock in the tank. With several rocks growing algae it should provide a continuous supply for the fish.

It might be worth reading this:

Most bloodworms are actually insect larvae.

I know they are insect larvae ;) But insect larvae come in all sizes and bloodworms are quite large. For juvenile fish (these fish are newly bought) I would stick with small food. Maybe when they reach their adult size of 2 to 2.5 inches, they'll be OK with bloodworm.

I know they are insect larvae ;) But insect larvae come in all sizes and bloodworms are quite large. For juvenile fish (these fish are newly bought) I would stick with small food. Maybe when they reach their adult size of 2 to 2.5 inches, they'll be OK with bloodworm.
Ah, I see. I haven't seen where Gilroy mentioned how old they are, just that he has had them in his tank for a few weeks. My mistake.

He said he'd had them in the tank for 2 weeks, so I assumed they were newly bought :unsure:

I'm sure you're right, I hadn't even thought about them being too young/small to eat the bloodworm :)

Anyhow, I hope you manage to get them to eat something Gilroy!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back