April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan

Spinning around
Reaction score
When choosing your pond inhabitants Goldfish, Koi and Orfe are usually the most common choices. However, there are other fish out there that can provide a nice alternative to the more commonly seen species.

Possibilities for the smaller ponds.

Three Spined Sticklebacks
(Gasterosteus aculeatus)

Size: 4-10cm (1"- 4")
Origin: Native to the UK and found in fresh and costal waters around Europe and North Africa, North and Central America and Asia.

Porbably the best known Bristish fish. The name originates from the three spines or stickles found at the front of the dorsal fin. During the breeding season their colours intensify, especailly the males. They construct their 'nest' out of pieces of plant or debris. They can be fussy eaters so ask what they are being feed on before you buy them.
********************************************************************* Fathead or Roseyred Minnow
(Pimephales promelas)

Size: 7-10cm (3"- 4")
Origin North America, Canada and down to some southern states.

These are a peaceful and hardy species. The name refers to the small pad of fleshy tissue on the head of sexually mature males, used in reproduction. The pad is used to keep his eggs clean by gently rubbing them with it. There is the natural coloured fish and an orange-yellow colour form.

You need a licence to keep these outdoors but not to keep them in the indoor aquarium. - Refers to the UK.
Red Shiner or Rainbow Dace
(Cyprinella lutrensis)

Size: 6-9cm (2"- 3")
Origin: North America-United States.

An active, undemanding, shoaling fish. They will not tolerate poorly oxygenated waters.

You need a licence to keep these outdoors but not to keep them in the indoor aquarium. - Refers to the UK.
Bitterling (usually the European bitterling)
(Rhodeus sericeus)

Size: 6-8cm (2"- 3")
Origin Central and Eastern Europe, to China.

Bitterling are a wonderful fish. There are a few species, but the two most commonly seen are Rhodeus sericeus and Rhodeus ocellatus. They are a small relative of the carp. They grow between 2-4" and are peaceful fish for a coldwater tank providing some extra colour. But they are best known for their remarkable breeding relationship with the swan mussel. At spawning time the female bitterling lays a few eggs in the breathing hole of each mussel. The male follows and sprays milt over the same places. The mussel's breathing ensures that the eggs are fertalised and get plenty of oxygen during the next three to four weeks. When the young Bitterlings come to leave their adopted parent, they are fully equipped to swim. These fish are easy to feed, in breeding season the males will turn wonderfully colourful, providing the temperature rises to around 22C stimulating the start of breeding.

You need a licence to keep the European Bitterling. - Refers to the UK.
Common Minnow
(Phoxinus phoxinus)

Size: 6-14cm (2"- 5")
Origin: Native to the UK. Found across Europe and across to Siberia.

There is now a Golden form as well as the natural coloured form. They are an active, hardy, shoaling species. They should be kept in well-circulated and well-oxygenated water.
Clicker Barb or Topmouth gudgeon
(Pseudorasbora parva)

Size: 8-11cm (3"- 4")
Origin: North-east Asia (now feral in parts of Europe).

They are a shoaling fish that prefers fast, well oxygenated waters. The noise supposedly refers to the noise they make when eating.

You need a licence to own this species. - Refers to the UK.

Possibilities for the medium ponds.

Rudd
(Scardinius erythrophthalmus)

Size: 30-40cm (12"- 16')
Origin: Native to the UK. Found across Europe to Asia.

A gold form aswell as the natural coloured fish is available. They are an attractive surface water shoaling fish and require well oxygenated water.
Sunfish
(Lepomis species, usually the Pumkinseed, L.gibbosus)

Size: 15-25cm (6"- 10")
Origin: North America - Canada to the southern United States (now also feral in parts of Europe.

Found in quiet, heavily planted waters. Do not mix with vulnerable species like Fancy Goldfish and watch new arrivals to ensure they are accepted.

You need a licence to keep any member of the genus Lepomis. - Refers to the UK.
Crucian Carp
(Carassius carassius)

Size: 20-40cm (8"- 16")
Origin: Native to the UK. Found across Europe to Nothern China.

Similar to the Goldfish in requirements and shape although a little larger.
Gudgeon
(Gobio gobio)

Size: 15-20cm (6"- 8")
Origin: Native to the UK. Found through out much of Europe aswell as Korea.

A peaceful, shoaling, bottom-dwelling species. They require cool, well circulated ponds with a sand/gravel bottom and plenty of hiding places. They must be offered sinking foods.

Possibilities for the large ponds.

Tench
(Tinca tinca)

Size: 30-50cm (12"- 20")
Origin: Native to the UK. Found all across Europe.

A peaceful and hardy bottom dweller. Rarely seen in the pond, so sinking food must be offered. There is a natural olive green form aswell as a Golden form.
Grass Carp
(Ctenopharyngodon idella)

Size: 40-100cm (16"- 39"). usually around 60cm (24")
Origin: China and Eastern Siberia.

The Grass Carp is known for eating vegetation, and is often introduced into ponds in the mistaken belief that it will control blanket weed. It will not, it may eat higher forms of flora. These fish have a tendency to jump in smaller ponds. There is an Albino form, but this is poorly sighted.
Sterlets
(Acipenser ruthenus)

Size: 120cm (48")

Must be feed sinking foods. A primitive group of fishes characterized by their cartilaginous skeletons and rows of heavy plates along the flanks and dorsal surface.
Other less common possibilites

Bream
(Abramis brama)

Size: 50cm (20")
Chub
(Leuciscus cephalus)

Size: 60cm (24")
Brown Trout
(Salmo trutta)

Size: 60-100cm (24"- 39")
Barbel
(Barbus barbus)

Size: 80cm (32")

Picture will be added when available, if you have any relevant pictures please PM me. :)

If you want information regarding licences please PM me. :)

I didnt know you had to have a lisense for a bitterling.I had one but it died after about 3 days of me buying it.My boyfriend has shubunkins in his pond.I dont know if you mentioned that.

Shubunkins are a variety of Goldfish. :) Bitterling have only just come under the license legislation as with many other fish named in the new ban.

very informative Ryan, keep up the good work!

I'm still trying to get a lisence over here the, governments been taking it's time getting back to me :whistle:

Do these all need to be wildcaught yourself? because i have never seen anything like these really in lfs besides the minnows, and had to go with goldfish

No, they can all be found. Some will take more finding then others though. :)

ryan said:
Some will take more finding then others though. :)
what exactly does that mean ryan?

great post can I share it with garden web? I'll put your name on it. I promis :whistle:

paul_v_biker said:
Well you might need to go round a few different shops to find them!!
Exactly, you may have to be prepared to travel for them or order them specailly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back