Bored Betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bluesand1313

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ranger, my delta betta, has been quite bored recently. His bubble nest is already HUGE, and I think he knows it too! Haha! So, he has nothing else to do.

I heard something about ping pongs or something?
He's in a three gallon tall though, and ping pongs are quite big. (Not huge like baseballs though, obviously.)

Are there any things to help a betta quench the thirst of boredom?

A few ideas:

- Ping pong balls and small glass marbles or stainless steel ball barings can be really fun for them to push around.

- A mirror, but you shouldn't leave it up all the time and you should always check for signs of stress (paleness, horizontal striping, aggitation) as opposed to the expected flaring and increased colour intensity.

- Provide different plants. Duckweed can go in any container and is a nice way to help cycle the aquarium. My Betta Alexander loves to pop his head up through the duckweed like a crocodile. Bettas love to lie on floating moss, or on big leaves (like amazon swords or large Anubias). and to hide in strips of weed like java fern.

- Feed live foods like bloodworm and brine shrimp, they love to chase and hunt.

- Change around the contents of his tank frequently.

Those are all great points by Nightfall. Let me add that I put a single floating cichlid pellet in each tank once a week & they seem to enjoy pushing that around. Kinda like a mini ping pong ball that they can munch on as well. Marimo Moss balls can also change things up a bit for them and help control algae since they suck up some of the same nutrients algae feed on. Any kind of floating plants where the roots hang down, stuff like that breaks up the scenery for them.

The biggest problem is that Bettas prefer more surface area with a larger footprint on their tank rather than the depth yours has. Any taller plants would help break that up for him.

Thank you for the suggestions! I have two tall plants in it for him, as well as a little hiding spot. I'll see what I can find at the dollar store that will float. (I have marbles, but they sink. :/) I'll make sure that it's fish safe!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back