Bored already with fish. Is that normal?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MetiSeifu

Reaction score
We got our very own first platys on January 17, 2019. 4 of them. Two male, two female. Added a white mikey mouse two weeks later, which resulted in the demise of she and one of the male platys.

Now that we are no longer worried about another fish dying, or one of the females being pregnant, [I don't like pregnant things and we can't afford a bigger tank for the fry that would result], I am wondering - privately [the aquarium is a gift from the boyfriend and he works hard to maintain it] if that is it. You do all these things for the fish, spend all this money [at first anyway], and the most they give back is follow you around the aquarium when it is feeding time?

I am not a dog person - hate needy things. But I certainly hoped there would be more to it than this.

Is this normal behavior? Does it go away? Or should I get myself a cat?

Attachments

• 20200202_114153.jpg
    20200202_114153.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I feed my hobby by getting more tanks and more plants. I never get bored of it, but if you are try rearranging your tank, or adding some new things to change it up a little bit. But if you find yourself not giving the fish proper care the best thing to do is move them on to someone who is willing to take proper care of them.

I feed my hobby by getting more tanks and more plants. I never get bored of it, but if you are try rearranging your tank, or adding some new things to change it up a little bit. But if you find yourself not giving the fish proper care the best thing to do is move them on to someone who is willing to take proper care of them.
My boyfriend is very nurturing. He does all the maintenance.

Oh good, just ask him to change the tank around and get some new plants to make it more interesting maybe? You could add some shrimp, or a snail.
We got two zebra snails last week, quiet creatures :). We were told platys can be aggressive with shrimps.

I sometimes get bored, I watch YouTube videos of people doing stuff with their tanks, that gets me motivated!

You could maybe get 4 or 5 ghost shrimp.

I would get bored with that tank too. No offense, it's nice and neat and tidy, but there's nothing going on in there.

I would add a picture to the back, some floating plants like Water Sprite, and something for the bottom. However, it's a pretty small tank so that does limit you to what you can keep in it.

You could get rid of the platies and put a pair of dwarf cichlids in it. They would breed and you could watch the parents looking after the young.

You could get rid of the platies and put some small rainbowfish (Pseudomugil species) or killifish (Epiplaty or Aphyosemion species) in it. They would show off and breed and might be more interesting.

The other option is a mini reef tank (saltwater) with some small anemones, shrimp, starfish, corals, etc. It might provide more variety and help keep you interested. However, having said all this, sometimes people just get bored with fish and move on to other things. You might not be as much of a fishy person as your boyfriend would like you to be.

I have to admit that it is easier to pet my dog or cat than a fish. They also respond more to me than my fish. But they all act the same way at feeding time. Some people are fish people and some are not. As @JxsPxxle and @Colin_T suggested you could change things or add something new. Just watching your fish can be a calming activity in this rush-rush world. :fish:

Last edited:
I do have a cat and a dog, so I’m not bored at all! (Technically 2 cats. ;))

You are still in the SpongeBob phase..when you move on to more natural looking aquariums,then your interest will perk or you just might not want stay in the hobby. FISH are as needy a pet as they come. All take and no give in fact..you have to love them for who and what they are.
Sounds like the BF is really the one interested..you might just come right out and tell him you would prefer to just visit them at his place...

It depends. I got my first tank when I was 12 and lost interest pretty quickly, until my molly gave birth and then I was all in and got a second tank etc, then I lost interest for awhile again. I absolutely love my fish but I go in and out, sometimes getting really discouraged and considering getting rid of my tanks and then I get excited about it and add more fish/plants/decorations. If you want an animal you can interact with maybe get a small rodent or a cat. My brother didnt do good with fish because they dont remind you that they're there. They just kind of are.

You are still in the SpongeBob phase..when you move on to more natural looking aquariums,then your interest will perk or you just might not want stay in the hobby. FISH are as needy a pet as they come. All take and no give in fact..you have to love them for who and what they are.
Sounds like the BF is really the one interested..you might just come right out and tell him you would prefer to just visit them at his place...
We live together. But I feel better now. Was worried I would be harshly judged by the folks in here - especially considering how having an aquarium was a life-long dream of mine and not my boyfriend's. Thanks, all.

We got our very own first platys on January 17, 2019. 4 of them. Two male, two female. Added a white mikey mouse two weeks later, which resulted in the demise of she and one of the male platys.

Now that we are no longer worried about another fish dying, or one of the females being pregnant, [I don't like pregnant things and we can't afford a bigger tank for the fry that would result], I am wondering - privately [the aquarium is a gift from the boyfriend and he works hard to maintain it] if that is it. You do all these things for the fish, spend all this money [at first anyway], and the most they give back is follow you around the aquarium when it is feeding time?

I am not a dog person - hate needy things. But I certainly hoped there would be more to it than this.

Is this normal behavior? Does it go away? Or should I get myself a cat?

Yes, it's absolutely normal if you keep only fish that are less interesting, intelligent or beautiful.
And you will get bored if you keep only the same species of fish.

To me, the main factors when selecting a fish are:
1)Colours/patterns - bright/bold, solid, stripes, spotted, translucent, unique colour, etc...
So, firstly, when you choose a fish, choose one with the best and unique colours that you like and you will never get bored when you look at them.
You can find fish with beautiful colours like the Bettas, Goldfish, Guppies, Endlers, Killifish, Discus, etc.

2)Intelligence.
Some fish like Guppies, Platies, Mollies have brightly colours but their lack of intelligent made them boring to me.
Cichlids are more intelligent than the normal schooling fish.
I like the South America Dwarf Cichlids especially the Rams, Apistogrammas and African Lake Tanganyika fish, Lake Malawi Yellow Lab Cichlid, etc.
Intelligent fish make them interesting to watch unlike less intelligent fish that move around aimlessly.

3)Size:
Some people like small fish but I prefer bigger fish where you can see them easily and enjoy their beauty and uniqueness.
To me, big fish like Discus and the Earth Eater are the best if you have big tanks.

If not, for medium size tanks, South American Dwarf Cichlids and African Lake Tanganyika fish are very interesting. Bigger fish are usually more intelligent with bigger brain.

4)Individual fish vs Schooling fish.
Schooling fish makes the fish interesting when they swim/move together like Harlequin Rasboras, Rummy Nose Tetras, Cardinal Tetras...
You can observe their natural behaviours in interacting with one another.
So, schooling fish are definitely more interesting than the individual fish.
I like Lemon Tetras that have striking green colour.

5)Fish Finnage, tails shapes.
Some fish like Bettas, Apistogrammas, Threadfin Rainbows, Furcatas have very nice and unique shapes of fins and tails.
They are so beautiful to behold with their beautiful fins.
The half moon Bettas are like women in dresses....

6)Unique water creatures.
Shrimps, crayfish/lobsters, crabs make your tank more interesting.
But crayfish, crabs cannot be mixed with fish as they will attack your fish except for probably top level fish that will not go down to the bottom of the tank.
I like the dwarf Mexican crayfish and the Sulawesi shrimps the best.

7)Aquascaping.
Some people will maintain beautiful aquascaping with beautiful plants, driftwood, sand, rocks in their tanks.
You can search the internets for Takashi Amano or ADA aquascaping for inspirations...
Takashi Amano helped to build the world largest freshwater tank in Portugal.
See the videos here:

In my opinion, Discus are the most beautiful freshwater fish but they are costly. Their big and colourful bodies with solid colours, stripes, spots, etc are the best over all other freshwater fish.

I encouraged you to visit bigger fish stores that have more varieties of fish and water creatures...
There are hundreds of fish, shrimps, crayfish, crabs species that are available in the aquarium trade today...
From South America to Africa, Central America, Asia, Australia continents...there are too many fish to choose from...

You will never get bored if you take time to research, study and view these water creatures and their natural habitats...
There are much information from the internets today...

If you don't have space for pregnant fish and the fry, keep only all male fish that are usually more beautiful than the female...
Keep only one "show/display tank" instead of breeding tank...

Lastly, nice fish are usually expensive and need more care....
Cost and time are two important factors that are require in fish keeping....
Treat your aquariums like your television and you will never get bored...
Keep only nice fish and maintain your tank in the best conditions that you can....

Btw, I havent touched on saltwater fish and corals yet ...;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back