Bonded Angelfish Fight

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rabi Siu

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a pair of angelfish that have been bonded for quite a while now, and they've laid several batches of eggs, though none have been successful. Just recently, they had another batch, but all of a sudden, the male (I think it's the male) starts becoming really aggressive towards the female. Within a couple hours, I notice that the female has some rips in its fins and tail. Also, I'm not completely sure, but I think that the female has also become a little duller. They aren't both fighting, it's just the male being aggressive and the female attempting to run away. I've separated the male and placed it with another angelfish (which I think is a female but I really can't be sure). What should I do? I'm worried for the female, who still has eggs, but should I put the male back with the female after a few days?

Hi, I just noticed that the female has eaten all the eggs, so I moved the male back hoping that the male would calm down. However, the male seems just as aggressive, and its cornering the female and nipping her constantly. Can somebody please help me and diagnose the problem and suggest a solution?

The female has been eating the eggs and the male got upset with her doing it so he bashed her and tried to look after the eggs. But you removed him and she ate the eggs :)

The pair is no longer compatible so put a group of 6-10 angels together in a different tank and let them choose new mates.

It is obvious the pair never actually bonded to begin with. This is common with many cichlids, I've had both Ram species do the same. A male and female put together may spawn a few times, but if they have not actually bonded what you describe is usually thee end result.

You need to separate them immediately, the female is not going to live long once this has escalated to what you describe.

As Colin noted, angelfish must select their own mates fro a group. There is no other method.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. However, I only have 5 angels in total, and I have them all separate because they were all couldn't seem to get along. I had the (supposedly) bonded pair, another pair that seem to be fine with each other, and one more by itself. I've place the male with the single angel to see if that works.

Did these fish bond and pair naturally or was it a forced coupling? If they paired on their own that aggressive behavior is not usual. Now if they were put together against their own will they are in what we call the divorce stage. Split them up if that's the case.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back