Bolivian Ram?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

chanish

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow fish lovers. I'm just confused. Is this a Bolivian Ram?

I don't think it is...it has a similar body shape, but the colours (especially on the fins) look very unusual for a bolivian ram. Also, I can't remember any of mine ever having any pink/red in their iris.

malfunction said:
I don't think it is...it has a similar body shape, but the colours (especially on the fins) look very unusual for a bolivian ram. Also, I can't remember any of mine ever having any pink/red in their iris.

I just bought this yesterday and I thought it is a Bolivian Ram, neither the shop keeper can't tell me what type of cichlid it is. One thing I know for sure is that it is from cichlid family (atleast its what I think
yes.gif
). But it is very peaceful and come face to face with my guppy fry, here is the close encounter.

Im not sure... Never had them :) but its a lovely fish and maybe if you figure out what it is I will try some! I have guppies and neons so maybe I could get one (if the species itself is compatible).

chanish said:

I just bought this yesterday and I thought it is a Bolivian Ram, neither the shop keeper can't tell me what type of cichlid it is. One thing I know for sure is that it is from cichlid family (atleast its what I think
yes.gif
). But it is very peaceful and come face to face with my guppy fry, here is the close encounter.

That looks like my Bolivian Rams

(bottom right corner)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9wosle8sm0clhr/2014-06-22%2016.51.56.jpg

I'm just guessing but it does remind me of a young geophagus - especially threadfin acara. I'd be very surprised if it did turn out to be a Bolivian ram though.

I keep Bolivian rams and it looks similar to one of mine but doesn't have the pink/orange colours that mine has so I don't think it is

Doesn't look like a Bolivian as it does not have any red on its fins.

Thank you all for the reply. Well I guess I need to wait a few months and see if I can bring out their natural color. But they are not so eating. They just scour the substrate for food or maybe they were too distracted by their companions (guppy, moly and danios) whenever I feed them and today they are just hiding under the wood log.

@bluesword23516
I guess all Rams cichlid are pretty much peaceful.

@Ciddire
yeah it exactly resembles mine. and oh, you got great big fish tank.

@malfunction
@TheAquariumGuy
@cambojnr
@star4
I guess they are too young to really determine what species they belong too. They are the last two pieces when I found them in the shop and I really thought they are Bolivian Rams which I read a very peaceful cichlid so I thought I could add them to my community tank.

chanish said:
Thank you all for the reply. Well I guess I need to wait a few months and see if I can bring out their natural color. But they are not so eating. They just scour the substrate for food or maybe they were too distracted by their companions (guppy, moly and danios) whenever I feed them and today they are just hiding under the wood log.

@bluesword23516

@Ciddire

@malfunction
@TheAquariumGuy
@cambojnr
@star4
I guess they are too young to really determine what species they belong too. They are the last two pieces when I found them in the shop and I really thought they are Bolivian Rams which I read a very peaceful cichlid so I thought I could add them to my community tank.

I've got a really gold female like yours. 

They will only eat my sinking fish crisps & will nibble on the carnivore pellets.

They don't seem to be interested in flakes at all.

Im pretty sure its a ramirezi cichlid, either the blue or gold variety. Young cichlids are picky eaters sometimes, you can try isolating them and letting them build up their strength on some live worms for awhile it never fails to vitalize new fish for me

Ciddire said:

@bluesword23516

@Ciddire

@malfunction
@TheAquariumGuy
@cambojnr
@star4

I've got a really gold female like yours. 

They will only eat my sinking fish crisps & will nibble on the carnivore pellets.

They don't seem to be interested in flakes at all.

That's good to know. I'll buy them a cichlid pellet and see if they'll be interested with it.

AeonMapa said:
Im pretty sure its a ramirezi cichlid, either the blue or gold variety. Young cichlids are picky eaters sometimes, you can try isolating them and letting them build up their strength on some live worms for awhile it never fails to vitalize new fish for me

Well that's a great idea. I have a small tank in reserve but my wife is against me setting it up due to electricity cost and the fact that we have an impending plan of moving out of our flat. Given my location, my resources are so limited and need to travel 2 hours for a few great fish treats. I will keep that in mind.

hmmm, well tell her its just for a week, and how much electricity does one filter really use? haha your choice though. you can check your garden for earthworms and chop em up :)

AeonMapa said:
hmmm, well tell her its just for a week, and how much electricity does one filter really use? haha your choice though. you can check your garden for earthworms and chop em up
smile.png

out here in my location, its all sand, sand and more sand lol. I'm situated in middle east.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back