Bolbitis heudelotii

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Fishfinder1973

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I put this in the tank maybe like 3 weeks ago and itā€™s bigger leaves have turned brown.Iā€™m currently on holiday and havenā€™t got photos.
My Anubias also turned brown on the bigger leaves,but it almost cleared up overnight.The bolbitis is growing,as is the Anubias.
Could it be diatoms?I saw what diatoms were like on a utube video,md fish tanks I believe,and he said it would clear in time.
Could cutting the lights down help with diatoms?

I put this in the tank maybe like 3 weeks ago and itā€™s bigger leaves have turned brown.Iā€™m currently on holiday and havenā€™t got photos.
My Anubias also turned brown on the bigger leaves,but it almost cleared up overnight.The bolbitis is growing,as is the Anubias.
Could it be diatoms?I saw what diatoms were like on a utube video,md fish tanks I believe,and he said it would clear in time.
Could cutting the lights down help with diatoms?
Diatoms are just another form of algae and these might be responsible for the brown leaves.
Controlling diatoms would be the same as controlling any other algae...manage waste/nutrient levels and lighting.

When people talk of plants being used to control algae, they mean faster-growing varieties. Unfortunately, Anubias and Bolbitis are very slow growers, so won't help much in combatting any algae.

Shrimp, snails and algae-eating fish can sometimes help...provided you've addressed the cause and you aren't simply buying an animal to do your tank maintenance for you. ;)

My lighting may be playing a big part and so Ive decided to leave the light off while Iā€™m on a jolly up north for four days.
I have lots of bog wood in there,possibly providing nutrients for the diatoms.Who knows,it might just disappear once the wood has no more nutrients to offer.
I certainly wonā€™t be giving any animal the pleasure of cleaning the tank,thatā€™s my pleasure and itā€™s fundamental in the well-being of the tank inhabitants.One day I might even get knighted.

Bolbitis is a hard grow with no Co2. Slow to start becomes glacial until the root system builds up. That could take a year. Potassium might help..all the semi aquatic ferns seem to do much better with it. Iron is another.
I think in low tech? Don't let the water stay too warm and aerate as much as possible. Some people grow it like a weed. I've never had that happen.

One more. I saw a vid of a breeder who had thriving Bolbitis in nearly every one of his aquariums...in a room with much window light but not direct sun in the big room. That and generic LED lights. No Co2.

One more. I saw a vid of a breeder who had thriving Bolbitis in nearly every one of his aquariums...in a room with much window light but not direct sun in the big room. That and generic LED lights. No Co2.
Cheers Stan.I will see if thereā€™s any change on Monday.
To keep the nitrates below 20 I need to do two 50% water changes per week,looks like I might have to do three 50% a week.This might do wonders at keeping the pH around 6.6 too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back