Boiling driftwood

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hmm that's a worry - It's been sat in the box for a while now, is there a risk I've spoiled it?

If it is proper aquarium wood it should be dead dry and other than dusty, OK. The only risk, and there is no way to know in advance, is if there is a toxic substance within the wood. I had this once, back in the 1990's; I had the chunks of wood for over a year, and suddenly the fish slowly became more and more lethargic. With the help of a professional biologist, the problem came down to the wood; it was slowly leeching toxin, assumed to be from the wood species.

Good sharing.
I guess we have to take note of this slow leeching of toxin effects which we often don't realize it.

The box I've been using is Grade 5 PP which I understand is food safe, and technically the water won't have been boiling by the time it ended up in there anyway so I'll assume all is well and crack on. Thanks for the help guys!

Shocked how much tannins has drawn from a piece bought from a lfs there are normally pre soaked , I’d want all those lovely tannins in my tank though not the tub

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back