Bog Wood

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

gangeox

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone, although new to this forum i used to keep tropicals many many years ago (20 odd) and my girlfriend and i are starting out again and have a question: when i used bogwood the water was tinged red and this looked fantastic and can honestly say that i did not have any fish die, is having the water tinged red acceptable practice? :/

The water is coloured by tannins leaking from the wood, it's harmless to the fish and some do let it leak to give the fish some colour

Thanks for the replies, so am i correct in thinking that all bog wood will give of this tannin and do i have to take this into account when choosing fish?
When i kept fish may years ago i must have been very lucky to have no problems with unhealthy/dying fish i used an under gravel filter and and didnt know about ph levels etc, but this time i will take more care and follow the 'rules' :S

Yeah, fish that are happy in the acid range of pH should live with bogwood. There lots of profiles on fish on the net that will give you information like this. I have bog and drift wood for my pristella tetras (stunningly healthy in my opinion :D) and clown plec.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back