Hug a mod Nano Reef Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Common name(s): Boesemani rainbowfish, Boeseman's rainbowfish

Scientific name: Melanotaenia boesemani

Family: Melanotaeniidae

Origin: Southeast Asia: known only from the Ajamaru Lakes in Irian Jaya

Maximum size: 4-5"

Care: This beautiful fish is a mid-tank swimmer and a good one at that. They are very peaceful. In the morning, the head of the fish can be a very dark blue or almost black, but, this lightens as the day wears on. The posterior half of the fish is a beautiful orange color. Very attractive fish.

Feeding: They are very easy to care for and will eat almost anything. They are fond of flake and especially shelled peas. They have eaten small pieces of shrimp pellets as well. Be sure food is not too large as they reportedly have narrow throats. There are also some reports that bloodworms are not healthy for them but I have not seen any problems with this. They eat vitamin enriched brine shrimp and frozen tubifex as well.

Breeding and sexing: Boesemani rainbows are egg scatterers, usually on plants or java moss. Females usually have a less robust or narrower 'keel'. The male will reportedly court the female.

Minimum tank size: 20-30 gallons

IMGP2114.JPG

steelhealr, I hope you don't mind if I add a picture of my adult male to your profile. They are just such beautiful, peaceful fish (especially the males).
Mine is incredibly active though and kept with Red Rainbows in a 47.5 US Gallon. I often wish I could house them in a larger tank though, due to their high activity. I simply can't see myself putting them into anything less than 40 gallons. Especially considering they should ideally be kept in groups.

Boesmani.jpg

Although recommended tank size is as posted, I agree with you. They are great mid tank swimmers and deserve space to swim. Overall, I would go as far as to say they are one of the centerpiece fishes in my aquarium and seem quite hardy. SH

I've had 5 of them with 6 blue rainbows for over 5 years now in a 180 gallon Loach tank, and I can attest that they are more active and colorful in groups and that you cannot have African Pygmy frogs in same tank, as the Boesemani's will attack them in a pack. Otherwise very peaceful calm fish; their fading color remind me when its time for a water change.

Bloo your Boesemani is unbelievably beautiful WOW 
whistling.gif

I have 2 Boesemani's , a Male that which i will post now & a Female , I have had them 4 month & they where tiny when purchased with no colour at all but they are brightening up slowly . I also have a mix of rainbows with 3 Trifasciata , 2 Blue Rainbows & 3 Praecox rainbows . Such Active , Playful & very colourful fish that i recommend these to anyone starting off as they are pretty hardy fish . I Love them 
thumbs-up.gif

Just to revisit the tank size discussion. I really think you need at least a four foot tank to allow these fish to swim around in. 20-30 Gallons is far too small a tank IMHO. You need much more than that. (mine is 75 gallons and four feet wide)

Lunar Jetman said:
Just to revisit the tank size discussion. I really think you need at least a four foot tank to allow these fish to swim around in. 20-30 Gallons is far too small a tank IMHO. You need much more than that. (mine is 75 gallons and four feet wide)

Ditto, you might be able to keep a fish alive in 20-30 gallon, but in no way is it suitable to keep adult fish long term bearing in mind they need to be kept in groups, allow for their natural interaction etc.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back