BN pleco spiraling?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Then maybe the change of filters DID stress her a bit, but the spiraling suggests something else, like disease or parasites...but I'm no expert on these...if the other fish are fine, then your params should be good, also....sometimes we just lose fish and never really know why, happens to all of us

Then maybe the change of filters DID stress her a bit, but the spiraling suggests something else, like disease or parasites...but I'm no expert on these...if the other fish are fine, then your params should be good, also....sometimes we just lose fish and never really know why, happens to all of us
I hope nothing was on the vegetables, my parents eat those. I’ll definitely get a new test kit when I can. Thanks

I hope nothing was on the vegetables, my parents eat those. I’ll definitely get a new test kit when I can. Thanks
I hope so, too....they weren't seasoned, by any chance?

I hope so, too....they weren't seasoned, by any chance?
They weren’t. I checked the ingredients, and it was just romaine lettuce, carrot, and red cabbage. My mollies picked at some if it and they are fine.

I've fed many blanched veggies to my plecos and other fish before, but not cabbage...I wonder if it caused bloating problems?

I've fed many blanched veggies to my plecos and other fish before, but not cabbage...I wonder if it caused bloating problems?
I looked it up online and it seemed safe. Does she look bloated in the pic? There was only a tiny bit of cabbage

I looked it up online and it seemed safe. Does she look bloated in the pic? There was only a tiny bit of cabbage
Nope, she doesn't look bloated to me, but that can be hard to detect....was this a packaged-style set of veggies, or did you guys cut them up yourselves, from fresh produce?

Nope, she doesn't look bloated to me, but that can be hard to detect....was this a packaged-style set of veggies, or did you guys cut them up yourselves, from fresh produce?
They were packaged, but I cleaned them and boiled them before feeding

Explain spiralling?
Was it spinning through the water, doing loop de loop, what?

Spinning or spiralling through the water is an indication of a bacterial or protozoan infection in the brain. This is usually caused by a dirty environment and lack of water changes.

The fish also appears black/ dark around the belly and that is normally caused by an internal bacterial infection.

If other fish ate the same veges and didn't die, then the veges were fine.

--------------------
If a fish ever dies, do the following.
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Don't add any new fish for at least one month.

Explain spiralling?
Was it spinning through the water, doing loop de loop, what?

Spinning or spiralling through the water is an indication of a bacterial or protozoan infection in the brain. This is usually caused by a dirty environment and lack of water changes.

The fish also appears black/ dark around the belly and that is normally caused by an internal bacterial infection.

If other fish ate the same veges and didn't die, then the veges were fine.

--------------------
If a fish ever dies, do the following.
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Don't add any new fish for at least one month.
It was literally spinning, like all around and super fast, random directions. (Corkscrew if you know what that swimming drill is). I do a 30-40% water change at least once a weak, and my tank currently has 3 filters. Her stomach wasn’t really black. It was blue but I researched it and it said that was because she was full? I didn’t feed the other fish the carrot or cabbage but I let them eat tiny pieces of the romaine lettuce. My other fish are still fine. No signs of stress at all. I already did a large water change just after I removed the pleco. I always siphon when doing water changes. Two of my filters are new and one is being removed soon. I have two platy fry that I plan on adding to the tank when they’re older, but I probably won’t add them for about a month anyway since one of my filters is pretty strong and they are only about a week old.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back