BN Killed by Mesh on a Rock

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

D

Deleted member 149562

Well I just spent the last couple of hours dealing with an unexpected problem with one of my female BN's.......Rosy.

She has got herself into many dodgy situations over the years, mostly due to her sticking her nose where her body didn't fit. I have had to rescue her many times.......today I failed her :(

The other week I bought some rocks and coconut shells that had living moss on them. I didn't attach the moss, it was ready done, and stupidly I didn't check how the moss was attached or how securely it was attached.

This morning I saw Rosy acting strangely. She was sat beside the rock with the moss, occasionally wriggling about but not moving away from the rock. I increased the intensity of the light and saw that she had somehow managed to pull some of the fine mesh like stuff off the rock (the moss was held onto the rock by mesh that had been glued - this I discovered afterwards). The mesh had wound itself tightly around one of her fins and around her body....every wriggle, it tightened further.

I removed 50% of the water, grabbed the rock in one hand and her in a puddle of water in the other hand (I was wearing gloves as usual) and put them both into a jug and took them into the kitchen. Tried to free her for about 45 minutes but as you can imagine, holding still is not something any fish will do, and especially a BN. I used ultra fine scissors to gently snip away the mesh, no sooner I had done that she wound herself up in more of it. By this time I had freed up and removed the rock from the jug so that I could concentrate on her.

She was getting extremely stressed out, breathing very hard and her body and gill area had quite deep cuts due to the mesh being so tight from her fighting and wriggling. I couldn't get the mesh off her completely, I tried but it was really hard when dealing with black mesh on a dark coloured fish and she was fighting me all the way with everything that she had and she kept rewinding herself up in the mesh.

So I had no alternative but to euthanise her. Her injuries were just too great, she was severely stressed and she was struggling to breathe :(

I got rid of the rock and the mesh. I checked the rest of the coconut shells and the moss is glued directly onto them, there is no more mesh in the aquarium.

This was one of those freak accidents that could not have been foreseen.

So my dilemma is this...

I now have one female and two male BN's which I am pretty sure will bring out some aggression from the males......do I replace Rosy with another female (not that a juvenile BN shows if its male or female) or do I just see how the three of them get along and maybe remove a male later if necessary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for your loss, that must have been very upsetting.

Sorry for your loss, that must have been very upsetting.
Thank you

Yes...both upsetting and annoying tbh

She was quite the character, last time she got into bother was in her old aquarium and she got stuck in an ornament. She was able to move to the glass and tap the glass, so I was able to get her out fairly easily

But this time the very fine mesh, that I had no idea was even there...I thought the moss had been glued directly to the rock, not placed on mesh and then glued....wound itself around her fins, gill area and body, she was basically hogtied by it and with every movement from her it kept getting tighter and tighter, I don't even know how long she had been snared for as I only discovered her when I put the lights on this morning, she was gallivanting around as usual last night when I went to bed. It was a losing battle to get her free of the damned mesh.....if I had known about the mesh I would not have bought the rock.

Lesson learnt the hard way.

I guess this is a warning about buying preprepared rocks with moss....check how they are done before placing them in the aquarium and make sure that everything is totally secure.

I have managed to peel some of the mesh from the remains of the rock. I have honestly never seen mesh this fine before. The photo of the mesh on its own is at 4x zoom. The rock with moss is a product from Tropica.

IMG_20220327_123553_resized_20220327_123716644.jpg

IMG_20220327_123608_resized_20220327_123716224.jpg

I was going to put the rock and moss seperately back into the aquarium. Both have gone into the bin cos the mesh is so integrated into both that it would not be safe for the fish.

Sorry for the loss...accidents happen, no matter how careful we are

Looks like that mesh was just wrapped around the rock/moss several times, like a net...not the best way to attach moss...but, not your fault, you didn't know until it was too late

As far as getting another female, seems to be a personal choice, IMO....shouldn't be a problem, since it wasn't before

How big is the tank?

Sorry about the fish :(

You can normally keep 1 female and several male bristlenose catfish together. The males care for the eggs and the females swim off to breed with another male.

As long as each male has its own cave, they shouldn't fight.

Sorry for the loss...accidents happen, no matter how careful we are

Looks like that mesh was just wrapped around the rock/moss several times, like a net...not the best way to attach moss...but, not your fault, you didn't know until it was too late

As far as getting another female, seems to be a personal choice, IMO....shouldn't be a problem, since it wasn't before

How big is the tank?
The aquarium is 200 litres / 53 US gallons

It is annoying that I did not check that everything was secure beforehand, but as always I order everything online cos I cannot leave home, so it looked OK and was OK for a few weeks til this happened. I have let the supplier know that there is a problem with the rock/moss combination, they didn't do the wrapping/attaching, its how they received them from their suppliers.

Sorry about the fish :(

You can normally keep 1 female and several male bristlenose catfish together. The males care for the eggs and the females swim off to breed with another male.

As long as each male has its own cave, they shouldn't fight.
Thank you for that, both males have their own hiding places.....Bristles lives in the hollow resin mangrove tree trunk at one end of the aquarium and the other male, Digger, is in a ceramic cave at the other end of the aquarium...the now lone female, Blue, is about half the size of the female that was killed and she is a darter, swims like a little missile and hides when the males are on the prowl.

Well...it appears that Rosy's legacy lives on.

She managed a few egg hatchings a while before her death. I had not seen any of them for ages, thought they might have been someone's breakfast or lunch tbh

Today, however, one little baby BN with Rosy's colouration came out to play. He/she is a little over an inch long, very active, very healthy. He/she is the only baby left as far as I can tell.

Not a great photo (he/she is close to the surface to the right of the pest snail), but he/she is doing really well and actively exploring without any nervousness.

IMG_20220423_085820_resized_20220423_085848496.jpg

None of this story is good, as the American police say, " I am sorry for your loss". Which as a New Zealander I have never really understood!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back