Blyxa Japonica help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DerpPH

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So I need a little advice. My blyxa japonica just went and produced flowers. I have read that they do this under severe stress. I just got this last Wednesday. Could it be because I got it a few days prior and it is under stress? Tank size is 6.75 gallons and lights are LEDs with output of 7 watts
20200703_222206.jpg
20200703_221605.jpg

This is a plant I know absolutely nothing about, having never had it or even seen it locally, though I have never actually looked for it.
I'm so sorry, I really had no idea. Though I have heard that it might need a bit of CO2 and root fertiliser ????

I'm so sorry, I really had no idea. Though I have heard that it might need a bit of CO2 and root fertiliser ????

That's fine, no problem. I know some data on some plant species, nothing on others.

I looked this plant up in my Kasselman book and this species is not mentioned. But there is a valid distinct species Blyxa japonica according to the Plant List, Kew Gardens, and other botanical sources.

That's fine, no problem. I know some data on some plant species, nothing on others.

I looked this plant up in my Kasselman book and this species is not mentioned. But there is a valid distinct species Blyxa japonica according to the Plant List, Kew Gardens, and other botanical sources.
I have had a look on it on eBay. Someone sells in the UK and they have mentioned something about CO2 and root tabs. Maybe not? Maybe the plant just does better with these? I'm not very sure on this.

I have had a look on it on eBay. Someone sells in the UK and they have mentioned something about CO2 and root tabs. Maybe not? Maybe the plant just does better with these? I'm not very sure on this.

As this is not in a major reference book, one may have to track it down on a plant forum, unless another member on TFF knows about its needs.

I always go first to Kasselman for plant info (in a book) because she is a botanist and the book is estensive, but just out of curiosity I checked Hiscock's Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants which is more basic and fewer listings and this species is listed. Hiscock has this to say about it:

Blyxa japonica is similar to B. echinosperma, but much shorter and harder to care for. In nature the leaves may grow fairly tall, but in aquarium conditions they rarely reach more than 2-3.2 in (5-8 cm). Even in the best conditions this plant may have a limited life span in the aquarium. For optimum care, provide very bright lighting and a soft water environment.​

I had a look into these when setting up my nano as a Lake Inle biotope. They were unavailable in the UK at the time and the nano ended up not being a biotope - but I do recall that at the time they appeared to require more effort than I am prepared to put in for plants, specifically CO2 and high light are advised.

I always go first to Kasselman for plant info (in a book) because she is a botanist and the book is estensive, but just out of curiosity I checked Hiscock's Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants which is more basic and fewer listings and this species is listed. Hiscock has this to say about it:

Blyxa japonica is similar to B. echinosperma, but much shorter and harder to care for. In nature the leaves may grow fairly tall, but in aquarium conditions they rarely reach more than 2-3.2 in (5-8 cm). Even in the best conditions this plant may have a limited life span in the aquarium. For optimum care, provide very bright lighting and a soft water environment.​
Difficulty level 3 to 4....gulp.
I was given Hiscocks book (2005 imprint) yesterday from a fish keeping neighbour of over 40 yrs experience. He won’t be trying any plants other than his tried n tested ones now so I may as well make use of it he said.
It’s way way deeper than I ever imagine myself going into the subject though Mrs Lurch who is an obsessive gardener is taking a worrying interest in it.
Ill be sticking to the eight or so quick cycling plants you’ve listed on here a few times which I’ve been meaning to say thanks for so errrh...thanks!.

Difficulty level 3 to 4....gulp.
I was given Hiscocks book (2005 imprint) yesterday from a fish keeping neighbour of over 40 yrs experience. He won’t be trying any plants other than his tried n tested ones now so I may as well make use of it he said.
It’s way way deeper than I ever imagine myself going into the subject though Mrs Lurch who is an obsessive gardener is taking a worrying interest in it.
Ill be sticking to the eight or so quick cycling plants you’ve listed on here a few times which I’ve been meaning to say thanks for so errrh...thanks!.

Hiscock's book is highly recommended, it is one of the best. The information in the first half is beneficial to say the least, and the profiles in the second half are very informative.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back