Bluefin Notho Killifish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

guppy78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone had experience with these fish?
I fancied buying 2 to brighten up the tank a little along with some blue neon gobys and another peacock goby, but from what ive been reading they only eat live foods which i dont have access too, was wondering if anyone managed to get away with frozen foods and flake with them?

cheers :)

Neon blue gobies don't eat live foods or flakes, they eat algae and biofilm. If you don't have a good supply then don't bother with them. They can sometimes eat certain prepared foods and vegetables, but good algae and biofilm growth is needed. They also like flow and plenty of oxygen in their tanks. Peacock gudgeons can be worked onto flakes and pellets, you can ask to LFS what they feed to see if they have been eating them.

Blue nothos do best on live/frozen foods. They are an annual killi, so they only live for a year or so.

Last edited:
Do you have a scientific name or picture of the blue neon goby?
The only neon goby I know of is a marine fish.

Nothobranchius killifish will happily take frozen (but defrosted) and dry foods, as well as live foods. Just feed them a variety of food and they will eat.

Have lots of plants in the tank and do regular water changes and they will breed in the tank. Although bottom dwelling fishes like gobies and gudgeons might eat the eggs.

yeah what essjay linked is the blue neon gobys i was thinking of buying, ive already got 2 peacocks thats now fully grown adults (stunning fish) bought them when they were just fry and they thrived on flake and frozen bloodworm, if the killifish only live for a year i wont bother with them tbh, im gonna remove all plants from tank before i buy any more fish too, fancy a different kind of set up for a change.

cheers guys

Why would you remove all plants from the tank? Not only do they provide oxygen but they absorb some toxins and provide cover for fish (many of which require that extra cover). Do what is best for the fish not what you "fancy".

Why would you remove all plants from the tank? Not only do they provide oxygen but they absorb some toxins and provide cover for fish (many of which require that extra cover). Do what is best for the fish not what you "fancy".

im replacing the live plants with polyresin rock formations and cave hides and also leaving 10 mossballs in there, toxins is not an issue as i use prime + perfectly clear balls (good bacteria) that keeps on top of any unwanted toxins along with a 50% water change every 4/5 days, my water parameters is always on the level.

main reason im removing the plants is because they're making the tank too dark, keeping the light from reaching the bottom of the tank, killing any new plant shoots in the process that causes unwanted immonia spikes and nitrate, ofcourse i kept trimming them but my tiger lotus's grow like wild fire and its just makin the tank look messy.

the rock formations im replacing them with have ample of cover and hidey spots, and will make the tank look alot brighter

Peacock gudgeons come from waters in rainforests. This means lots of overhanging vegetation so they won't like a lot of light. Seriously Fish https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/tateurndina-ocellicauda/ comments that they need floating vegetation. And they don't do well with a lot of water flow.
Stiphodons, on the other hand, come from fast flowing water so they need a strong water flow, see the link I gave in my last post. Stiphodons and peacock gudgeons have different needs so should not really be kept together.

My peacock gudgeons eat any commercial food I put in the tank, both flake and pellets.

yeah i changed my mind about the blue neons after i read they need alot of flow / power heads, air stones etc, really didnt wanna put my airstone back in as my smaller tetras + rasboras didnt like it much, gonna get another peacock to go with my 2 and look at some smaller schooling tetras instead, maybes some Purple emperor tetras and red phantom tetras, it is after all a small schooling tank mainly,
I wanted a little more diversity with the fish i orginally said i wanted but yeah think ill stick to what i know tbh

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back