Blueberry Oscars...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nfm-malice

Reaction score
So I went out to get a couple new fish for my Big Tank last night...

I was looking around my LFS, and I came across "Blueberry" oscars... IT's basically an Oscar.. but it's a Light Blue... Relatively Pretty... But I've never seen one before... (Then again Im kind of a Fish Newbie...)

So I bought one... I wanted a way to be able to name and tell all my oscars apart at first glance.. so I bought a "Blueberry", Zebra (Black?), and Albino Oscar... To go along with my Tiger Oscar at home...

They are all cruising around pretty nicely... Except that the Tiger Oscar likes to swim REAL close to the Zebra.. hehe... BUt We're keeping an Eye on them to make sure they get along well enough...

not going to lecture on tank size for an oscar (mostly cause I don't feel like thinking right now)... but there is a reason for never having see the "blueberry" oscar. THEY ARE FAKE! I saw some exactly the way you discribed them for sale at wal mart. and the ones that I saw were albino tigers that looked like they had just taken a nice long bath in Blue food coloring.

I have a 115g Tank.. My father used to have Oscars in a 100g tank... I saved up to be able to pull it off.. hehe

As for the Color.. I was sure they were "Not real" but I did see on a few other sites that people have said they were real..

And it didnt come from Walmart hehe... :)

Make sure you realize that 4 full grown O's need at least a 220g and that's with great filtration and 2-3 times 30% wc's. jmo.

Well.. I plan on Upgrading tanks relatively Soon (Probably after Tax Returns in March)...
There's a REAL nice 300g Im looking at right now... Hopefully that should hold the Oscars and a Clown knife in the future...

Im not Sure how I am on Filtration right now... Im Running 2-802 Power Heads and a Magnum 350 with 2 Bio Wheels...

For Fallback I also Have Set Aside 2-HPH Trickle Filters that I can Dump in and Take the Bio Wheels off the Magnum...

Does that Sound like enough? Or should I drop back Down to 2 Magnum 350's?

It doesnt matter the size of the tank in this case. Those Oscars are all doomed to die a horible death. Unfortanatly they are fake. They have been fed foos with dye in it and kept in water with dye in it. They have also been injected with dye. The dye in there diet woter and the injection gives them a very weak ammune system and probably wont live for more than 2 or 3 months. If you are lucky enough to have any of those brilliant fish live it will eventually lose its blue color and go back to being an ordinary Albino Oscar. I wish you and your fish the best of luck....

OscarCichlid said:
It doesnt matter the size of the tank in this case. Those Oscars are all doomed to die a horible death. Unfortanatly they are fake. They have been fed foos with dye in it and kept in water with dye in it. They have also been injected with dye. The dye in there diet woter and the injection gives them a very weak ammune system and probably wont live for more than 2 or 3 months. If you are lucky enough to have any of those brilliant fish live it will eventually lose its blue color and go back to being an ordinary Albino Oscar.  I wish you and your fish the best of luck....

:huh:

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

If you are being serious you are incorrect.

not to go against what your, saying (you are a very smart fish hobbiest while i am still a newbie and have much to learn) but the manager at my LFS told me that all dyed fish have a very painful life. Starting from birth when they are put in water with dye in it and fed food with dye in it and are injected with a needle. he told me that only 1 out of 10 will live and the others will die of a disease much like cancer (i know it sounds insane, a fish with cancer) but thats what he said. he also said that the 1 out of 10 that do live will just loose there color. If this info is wrong please let me know because i to have a Blueberry Oscar and have had him for about a week. He is with my other two Tiger Oscars but is not doing to well, so i moved him to a 20 gallon (only until he grows to be the size of the other oscars, hes only about 2 inches) he is with an enormous pl*co, a kissing gourami, and 2 black skirt tetras. If you have any info about the blueberry oscar i would apreciate it, and yest i was being serious. that is what the manager said to me when i bought him almost word for word.

not to go against what your, saying (you are a very smart fish hobbiest while i am still a newbie and have much to learn)

Not sure who you're talking to but it doesn't matter who knows what and if you have an opinion then yours is as valid as anyone elses,imo.

the manager at my LFS told me that all dyed fish have a very painful life. Starting from birth when they are put in water with dye in it and fed food with dye in it and are injected with a needle. he told me that only 1 out of 10 will live and the others will die of a disease much like cancer (i know it sounds insane, a fish with cancer) but thats what he said. he also said that the 1 out of 10 that do live will just loose there color.

The Manager at your lfs is right and he is wrong...

All dyed fish do live thru a painful process. A lot of them worse than you described. Some are dipped in acid to take their slime coat off and then dyed afterwards. I'm sure many die in this process. He said that 1 out of 10 will live thru this process, I'm surprised to hear that so many do. I have heard much lower numbers but I have no fact to back any of this up so can't debate it... The lfs Manager says 1 out of 10 will lose their color? Does he have any facts as to how he comes to this conclusion? I have always heard that all fish always lose their colors within 3 months.

Either way, I totally agree with everything you've posted.

Most reactions

trending

Back