Blue Spectrum Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 48 inch fluval plant 3.0 led light. I have the blue spectrum at around 5% and so far my java ferns, anubias, and tiger lily are doing well. My question is, should I raise the blue spectrum higher? I know it's part of the spectrum that plants need, but I'm afraid of algae growth taking over.

Also, my guppy grass is not doing well. Could it be that it needs more blue light?

thanks.

I could be totally wrong, but I think guppy grass is actually a marsh plant that dosen't do well submerged. That could be why its not doing well

You want equal amounts of red and blue light and if possible, a bit of green light.

If you have true aquatic plants that are struggling, you might need more light. You can have lights on for up to 16 hours a day, or add another light unit.

You want equal amounts of red and blue light and if possible, a bit of green light.

If you have true aquatic plants that are struggling, you might need more light. You can have lights on for up to 16 hours a day, or add another light unit.

I am worried about algae if I up the light duration. Right now the amount of algae is minimal. I had to fight algae when I first started and it almost made me abandon the hobby. Right now only the guppy grass is struggling so I'm afraid I might get issues with the java fern and anubias if I up the blue light and light duration. I am at 5% blue, 45% red, and the light is on 75% intensity for around 8 hours.

Red and blue are essential for photosynthesis, and red is the more important. Green added in does improve plant growth. Intensity itself or duration willnot make up for deficiencies in the spectrum, and vice versa.

Too much blue light can indeed cause problem algae. So can too much intensity, or not enough. Or too long a duration. The balance is key.

Right, balance IS key, which is why I'm hesitant about raising the blue light anything over 5%, but I will try and see if the guppy grass responds well to the added blue. I'll have to keep an eye on my tank to see if I need to reduce it. Thanks @Byron

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back