Blue Rams

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

-cAtFiSh-

Fish Herder
Reaction score
On Saturday i bought myself two new german blue rams, a male and a female.
They didnt take any notice of each other on the saturday cos they were still settling in.

On Sunday they were getting along fine. They would follow each other round the tank, no aggression or anything and were sharing a sinking pellet i put in for them (so cute haha).

Yesterday (Monday) and today the male has become much more aggressive towards the female. Her pectoral fins are slightly ragged from him biting her and she seems pretty stressed and isnt being as active as she was, apart from when the male is chasing her around the tank.

So now i dont know what to do. I dont have another tank i could put one of them in to separate them and if i was to take one back i would have to wait till Thursday.
Should i just leave them and see if anything improves? And should i be worried about the male doing any real serious damage to the female?

First, are you SURE they're male and female? How do you know?

Even if they are M & F they won't neccessarily get on or bond..... The more usual strategy is to add 1 M and 3 F and let the male decide on a partner, the other females are then removed.
They may calm down and decide they like each other but keep a close eye on them as I think you'll may have to remove one of them.....

What size is your tank? What are you water test results?

Yeah mine did the same thing so im returing my female and getting a new one for my male.

Schooling fish. Add three (at least) more females. The girls will wear out the boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schooling fish??? I've not heard them classified as that before, and wouldn't suggest adding more than a pair. The trick is to get a bonded pair. I ordered in a male and female, and they have gone through some spurts where it would seem like they detest each other, but then in a day or so they get along fine. Never any ragged fins though, so I'd keep an eye on that. With a large enough tank, and some hiding spots, it might make the transition easier.

See my pretty much are constitly fighting which is a bumer :/ It's really wierd i have had them for about a month now and their still afraid of me.

First, are you SURE they're male and female? How do you know?

Even if they are M & F they won't neccessarily get on or bond..... The more usual strategy is to add 1 M and 3 F and let the male decide on a partner, the other females are then removed.
They may calm down and decide they like each other but keep a close eye on them as I think you'll may have to remove one of them.....

What size is your tank? What are you water test results?

Yes i am positive. The female has a pink belly and the male doesnt.

Tank is 24gallons.

Water params are Ammonia and Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 5ppm
pH 7

i could probably add one more female for now and see what happens, and then remove one or both of them if neccessary.

Or maybe i should just go ahead and remove the female and just keep the male. he's so pretty XD

i'll wait another day or so.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back