Blue rams with kuli loaches?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kahlen.m

Reaction score
I'm getting a new 30 gallon tank and I would love to have german blue rams in that tank. However I am not sure if they would be good tank mates for the kuli loaches. If not, does anyone have any oddball suggestions to go with the kulis.

I personally would say nothing. Although if any other members here will say yes, in your tank size I would say to put in 12 kuhlis. Why I said no.. if you get 1 m and 1 f ram they will breed and go crazy.

As long as you keep the temp above 80 they should do ok as german Rams need temps in the 80s and khulis should be able to handle low 80s

I concur with the general advice here. The main issue with the blue or common ram (any of the varieties, they are all the same species) is the high temperature it must have, above 80F (27C) and many of our aquarium fish cannot manage with this on a permanent basis.

Can anyone recommend an oddball fish that could live with the kuli loaches?

Sorry I guess i meant fish that can be put into a pair and not need a large school.

Maybe african leaf fish? I believe they have similar water requirements. Check on seriously fish to be sure tho

Go for sparkling gourami!
20200128_060223.jpg

You could keep 1 male and 1 female. Or a trio is better 1 male and 2 females.... or just females. They're hard to sex though. Males may fight and the more dominant one may terrorize the other, so try to keep it 1 male.

IMG_20200219_175553sg.jpg

Theyre small nano fish, so dont put fast larger species with them. The kuhlis are larger but wont hurt them and the sparklers won't bother the kuhlis either.

Excellent and fun little fish! Slow, small, but pack a tiny punch when they want to. Adults are the size of neon tetras, theyre little.

If wanting a bit bigger... a trio of honey gourami is another option.

Thanks guys I will definitely check into some gouramies : )

If the temperature is not an issue, I would not expect too much trouble. Even when breeding, in my experience, Rams are not that aggressive/territorial. That doesn't mean that all Rams are this way, but in the 4 times I've had Rams I've only ever witnessed sustained aggression if there are two males.

Now that we are being asked for fish suggestions, we should pin down the GH and pH. Can you give us that data, kahlen.m?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back