Blue Rams Breathing At The Surface!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

STEVE2493

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
last night i noticed my pair of rams both at the surface with there mouths on the surface.
no other fish is doing this not even my other blue ram.

i've moved my spray bar higher, to push air into the water.

i'll check the water sats. later, the rams are full of colour.

is this something they do before breeding or is it more likey that somethings wroung?

thanks

What temperature is the tank set at? Have you noticed any fluctuations?

Water stats?

Try a 30% water change ASAP. Fresh dechlorinated water will do them wonders. It will greatly increase the oxygen levels because of the surface disturbance and a water change in any case is never a bad idea.

temp is 76 i did a small water change yesterday so it may have dipped abit. ( i also did a 30% change over the weekend)

stats
amm.0
nitrite.0
nitrate 40-60 ( i check my tap water as well and its 40)

the pair are still at the surface and have not eaten today i've had the male for about 7 months an the female for about 3 months i've also got another male (which i thought was a female at first) who's doing fine infact at the moment he's more colorful than i ever seen him before! might be because the other male isn't picking on him.

i did have a golden ram but he has just disappeared over the weekend i've check ever were and he's not there any more.
he did use to fight abit with the blue ram so i think he died and got eaten by the other fish!

You need to keep the NitrATEs down as much as possible. Extra water changes will help a lot.

What filtration have you got?

Can you add any more media to what you have?

Can you let us know what size tank you have, what filter you have and what fish are in there?

Do you have any live plants? If not, it may be worth adding a few as they will use up the NitrATE.

the extra water changes are not going to help if the nitrates from my tap is 40+

i have a fuval 405 on a 55g tank so thats more than enough.

its full of media

i have 7 tetras
7 guppies
7 mollies
1 garra
3 blue rams (did have a golden ram but its disappeared)
1 buttery fly fish
1 rope fish
1 bamboo shrimp

the tank is heavily planted

I've been doing weekly 30% water changes with no probs, i only did an extra small one on monday because i disturb alot of crap from under the bog wood looking for the golden ram.

the only thing i can think of is that there's something in the tap water( infact just thinking about it theres been alot of burst water mains around here lately).

there no longer at the top, but still not moving much!

update,the female seems ok not eating much.

but the male now can't swim properly, don't think hes going to last much longer.
he looks a little bloated anyone got any ideas wots wrong with him

no other fish showing any signs that theres anything wrong!

Most reactions

Back