Blue Platy!?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lil-x-me...x

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have gone out and bought some more live plants, and 2 honey gouramis. then i came across some beutiful platy's and i just had to get them! :rolleyes:

i first saw a lovely little orange female. so i got her. then i saw a almost blue colour platy. its actually called a blue platy!? i picked a boy like and hes gorguess! :drool:

i will try and get a picture of him once he has settled in :good:

My mum came with me to get some and we had to have a giggle at one of the assistants that was getting the fish. When i asked for a male blue platty, and a female orange platy, she clearly didnt have a clue how to tell them apart. she tried fooling me by saying that the fish was too young to know wether they are male or female!? :rolleyes: so i picked out a bluwe and black one that stood out so she could get him. then she luckily picked out a female platy. and she was one that wasnt pregnant either, bonus! i would like some little fry with them two i have as they will be beutiful fry as they are beutiful parents. will take some pictures of them soon x :drool:

x

Is it like the one on the attached pic?

I have one of these in my tank and they are quite nice, the pic isnt of mine but just a pic i got from google

Andy

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 778
I have some blue platy. They are pretty. They are sold in the Petco near me. I had about 40 blue fry a few months ago but found all of them new homes.

yeah, he's like that one. thanks x

iv never heard of them before are they quite rare? or is it just me :p

Also is there a chance for 2 platys to breed, i know you are supose to have 2 females to on male however i didnt have enough cash on me for one more female. would just 1 male and 1 female breed?

also how long would it take abouts? she isnt pregnant now, and was nealry the only one that wasnt x

thanks for all the replies so far x

Ah look i got some shots of them this morning.

im sorry for the quality of them :rolleyes:

heres the male, prettier than ever.

Image014-1.jpg

and heres the female, shes tiny compared to the male is this normal?

Image0391.jpg

Image021.jpg

Image013.jpg

Platy males and females are usually about the same size as each other. With that said a human male is more likely to be taller than a human female but there are short men and tall women that defy the averages. Individual variation is a lot more important than people that use averages would ever like to admit.

Wow both of them are really pretty. I always try to find a blue platy but never can so congratz on your find!!!

I always try and find them too. Il've only seen pictures! They are beautiful though.

The male is not actually a blue platy at all... usually what we call blue platy is 'blue coral', which is the speckled appearance and comes from the variatus platy, not the maculatus. It has cellophane fins as seen in the first photo - that picture shows an absolutely beuatiful example of the blue coral strain. What you have there is a silver wagtail, with a very, very attractive blue sheen, he is stunning, never seen anything quite like it.
The female is smaller because she's very young, about half grown judging by the picture. Feed her well and she'll end up the same size as the male give or take a little - as oldman said there is natural variation in the species about the exact size they will reach. There is also a dwarf strain, but that looks like a young fish, not a dwarf platy. (The dwarf strain is very rare these days - anybody seen them recently?)

ooo, he is a stunner! lol i love him to bits, right i thought she looked little compared to him so that explains it.
yep, she wil be fed well and then fingers crossed some beutiful babies! :drool:

cant wait!

very pretty, kind of has a shimmer moon to it hehe.

The male is not actually a blue platy at all... usually what we call blue platy is 'blue coral', which is the speckled appearance and comes from the variatus platy, not the maculatus. It has cellophane fins as seen in the first photo - that picture shows an absolutely beuatiful example of the blue coral strain. What you have there is a silver wagtail, with a very, very attractive blue sheen, he is stunning, never seen anything quite like it.
The female is smaller because she's very young, about half grown judging by the picture. Feed her well and she'll end up the same size as the male give or take a little - as oldman said there is natural variation in the species about the exact size they will reach. There is also a dwarf strain, but that looks like a young fish, not a dwarf platy. (The dwarf strain is very rare these days - anybody seen them recently?)

dwarf platys are rare?? cause i have them at my local LFS and ive always looked at them but never bought em

Wow that is a pretty fish but I also dont think its a blue platy. here is my blue platys and Ive seen them at many Pet shops

2009018.jpg

Those are all blue platys but after many breedings theres darker and lighter blues.

What a beautiful colour, it will be interesting to see what the fry look like.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back