blue lobsters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chishnfips

WHAT! You went over my Helmet!
Reaction score
Can you keep blue lobsters in a freshwater tropical tank?

If so I want one. What do you feed them on and are they easy to keep?

chishnfips said:
Can you keep blue lobsters in a freshwater tropical tank?
yes

chishnfips said:
If so I want one. What do you feed them on
small fish are part of their diet :blink:

chishnfips said:
and are they easy to keep?
as easy as shrimp are.

Get a tight lid. I've heard of blue lobster talking a walk through someone's living room.

No tankmates either, they kill whatever they can get ahold of.

As said, they need to be in a species only tank.... 20 Gallons would be a good size as they can get quite big!

Also check that the retailer you are buying them from has a license to sell them. I know that in England you need a license and it will no doubt be the same in Scotland.

Ben

the only 'blue lobster' legal in the UK is the Cherax Quad. These grow to aorund 1 ft and require a tank or 4ft long when full grown due to there size and rigid body.

they prefer it cooler than most fish with 77 being the maximum suggested temperature to keep them in.

they can grow quite quickly when fed correctly.

good info cheers folks, I think I might pass then. there are lots of smalll fish in my tank. :crazy:

I could also make a nice salad with it though when it gets too big. :lol:

Here is my story with blue lobsters.

I was at my LFS two three ago and i saw one, quite big. I knew i wanted it but i couldnt have it as they had a note saying that is is reserved.

I went to a different store and found one smaller and i bought it. I know people usually say dont mix them with fish but i put it in a tank with mollies, guppies, gouramis, angels even low feeding fish like clown loaches. Its been three weeks and i havent lost a single fish. (Yet).

Im just waiting to see if i start loosing fish then ill put it in a separate tank but so far all is good.

All it seems to do is just hide and it only comes out when i feed the fish. I give it muscles but for some reason it seems to prefer cat fish pellets.. :(

Will keep you posted.. :)

cheers ziggy that would be cool, I am interested to see how it goes. the only thing is having a huge tank for it, mines 4ft but a 1ft lobster when it gets that big would fairly thrash around the tank.

Ziggy25 said:
Here is my story with blue lobsters.

I was at my LFS two three ago and i saw one, quite big. I knew i wanted it but i couldnt have it as they had a note saying that is is reserved.

I went to a different store and found one smaller and i bought it. I know people usually say dont mix them with fish but i put it in a tank with mollies, guppies, gouramis, angels even low feeding fish like clown loaches. Its been three weeks and i havent lost a single fish. (Yet).

Im just waiting to see if i start loosing fish then ill put it in a separate tank but so far all is good.

All it seems to do is just hide and it only comes out when i feed the fish. I give it muscles but for some reason it seems to prefer cat fish pellets.. :(

Will keep you posted.. :)
I've actually read that if these crawfish are bred in captivity, and always fed flake food, etc, that they will not eat fish. Many people have them with guppies and minnows etc, with no problems. I have not yet seen this for myself though, just what I've heard. I have several crawfish in with a bunch of bluegill and bass, and so far, all species are doing well.

I didn't notice in your post whether your cray was bred in captivity or not. It may have made no difference, but was curious nontheless.

Hi, I have a pair that have been in my tank for about 6 months now.
They haven't eaten any fish yet, but I've been told elsewhere on this forum that's because they're not very big yet.
They are about 3-4 inches long at the moment, and the female is carrying eggs.

They eat any type of food I put in the tank, keep the bottom nice and clean and don't seem interested in the fish.
I like having them in the tank at the moment, but I'm sure I'll have to move them in the future.

SSL20174_edited.jpg

Hi, I have a pair that have been in my tank for about 6 months now.
They haven't eaten any fish yet, but I've been told elsewhere on this forum that's because they're not very big yet.
They are about 3-4 inches long at the moment, and the female is carrying eggs.

They eat any type of food I put in the tank, keep the bottom nice and clean and don't seem interested in the fish.
I like having them in the tank at the moment, but I'm sure I'll have to move them in the future.

SSL20174_edited.jpg

not every cray will eat your fish. they are scavengers not hunters. but it is true that many people find that their cray will eat their fish.

if your cray is laying egg, and you dont loose any fish, things look good. you must however remove the babys, when they become detached from mum, of they will end up food for their parents. even when seperated predation amongst the young is often high.

be warned though the link posted by steelhealr, is not related to these cray. not even from the same contenent. it is also a coldwater cray, unlike the Redclaw.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back