Blue-Green Algae

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I would say this..there are innumerable types of sand sold. Most are not as good as fine smooth gravels. Sand to use for sandblasting is the same thing..various grades. I could never list all that are terrible..but I can see that most types will never be good for plant roots. Play sand has been tried by many people and all couldn't wait to take it out. Beach sands,again packs down hard.
I go back to Amano- his sands are not for putting plants in. Those go in that Amazonia they sell.
I know I did use "Monterey Sands" sold here in California decades ago and it was pretty good. And it was a larger grade of smooth sand. What I didn't like in that one is the color was so bland tan. But it was better than pool sands for plant roots.
It's no coincidence that when the sand fad got going BGA problems exploded over the internet and aquarium world. I think I was near 20 years into fish keeping in the 80's before I saw BGA. To think it seemed kind of attractive for the first few days-lol.
That was a 100 gallon plant tank with an undergravel filter and looking back,I must have spilled so much potting soils over a couple of years since I grew plants in pots capped with gravel over the filter..it was all you can eat BGA buffet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back