Blue gourami breeding questions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So I got a spawn of blue gourami about two months ago. After that the male built a bubble nest and would chase the female and I also couldn't tank any more fry, so I added an air stone to keep him form building a nest. Now I want them to spawn again but I'm worried that the male won't spawn because, he knows the air pump is there. Is this a valid concern or am I overreacting? If I turn the air pump off the fish start breathing heavily. My filter used to keep the surface agitated but it doesn't any more, I don't know why. Do you guys have any advice or? I will try to fix the filter so it still blows some bubbles but I don't know why the fish react so badly every time I take the air stone out. I have a lot of plants to provide oxygen so I'm really confused. Thanks

Are they in their own tank. If so lower the water level to about 8". Lots of floating plants. Lower the temperature in the evening ( 4 Degrees). Let them go for it. Expect around 300 fry. No filters needed.

Plants only produce oxygen during the day when they get bright light. At night they take in oxygen and release small amounts of carbon dioxide.

If the filter no longer aerates the surface, clean the filter.

Depending on the type fo filter, if it's a hang on back (HOB) style, reduce the water level in the tank by an inch.
If it's an internal power filter, raise it up a few inches so it's closer to the surface.
If it's an external power filter, raise the outlet tube so it's just above the water.

Are they in their own tank. If so lower the water level to about 8". Lots of floating plants. Lower the temperature in the evening ( 4 Degrees). Let them go for it. Expect around 300 fry. No filters needed.
No they are in my community tank, with angels fish, bristelnose plecos and panda garra. I was considering getting another thank for the pair but it's not possible at the moment. Should I still try and lower the temperature by a few degrees or will that negatively affect the rest?

Why and how does one exactly lower the temp 4 degrees ?

You don't want to think about breeding species like Blue Gourami's unless you have a lot of tank space and somewhere to sell the young. Typically they will lay around 1000 eggs and raising 300 -400 young is common.

Give them a water change using cold water, about 25% will do it. It simulates a rain storm.
Is this out of your own experience?
The info I have about gouramis is that they like / need high temps to breed (in contrary to for instance Corys). To me they spawn at the hottest moment just before monsoonseason (therefor lowering the waterlevel)
Personally I think that is quite logical cause a fish that builds a bubblenest is the last fish that wants a rainstorm to show up.
But I can be wrong there.

The drop in temperature is a trigger. That rain is here. They don't want to lay eggs if there is going to be no water around. The tank then increases in temperature and they spawn. You really don't want to try and breed these fish in a community tank. The male gets very aggressive and being large fish cause havoc. I used to use a 3' x 1.5' x 1 foot high tank to spawn gourami's large surface area but not to much depth.

I have a fish store I'm selling the fry two and gave a fully equipped 40g grow out tank. I had success breeding them in a community tank, because there is a lot of plant coverage. There is some aggression, but nothing to serious. I take the fry eggs out immediately so the breeding only lasts for a day or two

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back