blue Gourami aggressiveness, Help.

click to vote now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month

crb3566

Reaction score
Hey, I've had this blue/opaline gourami for just about 2 years. He just started becoming really aggressive these last few weeks and had to move him into a new tank because he killed 2 fish in my 75-gallon tank. I got him a female and he in a span of a few hours hurt her pretty bad. I'm not sure what to do I was hoping to breed some babies with him, but I can't seem to keep any fish with him with him trying to kill them. How can I get rid of his aggressiveness with females? (Possible euthanization?)

DoubleDutch

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Only option is to give it more than one female, but it is taking a risk.

This is why I don't like keeping fish single for some time. They really get asocial and frustrated with sometimes these consequences as result.

I don't like the idea of euthanising a healty fish.

GaryE

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I'll second @DoubleDutch 's comments. That's a species noted for aggression issues in many individuals, and keeping them alone for any length of time seems to kill off whatever social instincts they have. They can be made aggressive by keeping them alone.

So he needs to live alone.

Btw - a fish in a crowded tank is still living alone if it doesn't have its own species to interact with.

Byron

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
I agree with above members. It really is a shame that this gourami species (Trichopodus trichopterus) is so widely available, because it is probably the most aggressive of the small/medium sized gourami species. There are several varieties but they are all the same species so all have this aggressive tendency--blue, gold, marble, cosby, 3-spot, and I don't know which others. Either keep him alone, or find another home (store maybe, or another aquarist)..

OP
OP
C

crb3566

Reaction score
Only option is to give it more than one female, but it is taking a risk.

This is why I don't like keeping fish single for some time. They really get asocial and frustrated with sometimes these consequences as result.

I don't like the idea of euthanising a healty fish.
Hes a pretty fish, but he hasn't been alone for more than a week. I will try adding some more females bit bigger his time but Hes really being a pain in my neck right now.

DoubleDutch

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hes a pretty fish, but he hasn't been alone for more than a week. I will try adding some more females bit bigger his time but Hes really being a pain in my neck right now.
Alone as a Gourami / of his species I mean.

Most reactions

trending

Members online