Blue Electric Jack Dempsy With Blue Acara

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
I have a 55 gal tank. with a pair of blue acaras that spawn. Then once the eggs hatch they hate each-other. So I am thinking of rehoming one of them. They just don't seem to get along like a pair should. They add more drama to the tank then anything. The female is chasing the male around right now. My female is bigger then the male she is the dominate one. They were the same size but the female is growing faster. She is a pig.

So I saw these awesome blue electric jack dempsy for $20 at my LFS. I was So tempted to get one. I wanted a JD but they normally get too big and are a bit aggressive. BUT I have been researching the EBJD they stay smaller and are less aggressive. In fact I hear they stress out easily.

This is just an idea I'm not going to rush out and do it.

Has anyone kept the blue electric jack dempsy. I keep hearing different things about them. One thing I find is that these fish are weak and become sick easily. Often are hard to keep alive when young at 1-2". I'm sure this could be true since messing with genetics can be tricky.

General rule with them is buy them in 3's as 2 in every 3 is a dud and wont last more than a few weeks....also never buy a EBJD under 3" as they have a much higher survival rate.

they usual have internal problems...weak hearts,intestinal problems,eye problems,spine problems and pretty much 9 out of ten grow up to be a ugly version of a JD.

Also they cannot breed with other EBJD's

Other than that! lol yeh they would be fine with a solo Blue Acara.

at 1-2" i would definitely grow it up, in a bare bottom tank with very regular feeds and water changes, I recently purchased one at this size and lost it after about 10 days for no apparent reason,

Now i have purchased a 5" JD which is getting on fine with my green acara and others

I bought a male and female just over a year ago and lost the female approx 2 months ago after months of struggling health issues. My male is absolutely magnificent now, just over 4" and looking stunning. The female never in all those months got about 1.5" and i'm convinced she was 90% blind. Her eyes went cloudy/white and she was always sunkern bellied as she didnt eat. She'd be free swimming but never looked healthy. She finally gave up the ghost. I've since bought 3 regular strain female JD's to replace her, and hopefully pair one up with my male EBJD. I don't have breeding desires so i'm not fussed about breeding possibilities.

Although i had a bad experience with my female i never regret getting them. Truely remarkable fish. My male is my pride and joy in my tank =] he's magnificent.

i'm thinking of trading in one of my Acaras and my medusa pleco who is a waste of space. All she does is hide and only comes out at night. Whats the point of having a fish you can't enjoy?

The ones at the store looked great. I bet they are gone now. Sounds like you guy recommend the EBJD but I should not be shocked if it dies. I think I might get one if they are still there. I'm going to do more research on them tonight.

thanks.

I don't think its a case of IF it dies, its just a warning that they are prone to health problems. I've seen four batches of young EBJD now in my LFS and only the first lot had health issues, which happens to be the batch i got my 2 specimens from. I'd definately say they're worthwhile, i hope you enjoy them if you do get them.

They seem to grow fond of their owners too, mine recognises me when i walk in the room, and he goes especially crazy when i pick up the bright yellow tub of cichlid sticks :p

You can't go wrong with over researching anything these days, its a wise choice.

Good luck, James :)

To produce EBJD need to cross BGJD's or EBJD with BGJD. The problem is some breeders produce BGJD then breed them back to their EBJD which will lead to health deficiencies. Someone I know did this and had the most horrible looking EBJDs, they haven't died, but no way are they going to grow to full health or full size. My local MA has some stunning looking specimens, they sell them for £55 each. They had about 30 and now 5 or so left, that are doing v.well. My point is, buy from a reputable source and check the fish before purchase and you'll have less chance of problems.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back